|Research Associate / Sr Research Associate (Metabolomics Experiments)|
Company: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Location: Berkeley, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/28/2022
Expire Date: 08/28/2022
Job Categories: Research & Development
Research Associate / Sr Research Associate (Metabolomics Experiments) |
Research Associate / Sr Research Associate (Metabolomics Experiments) - 96202
Division: BE-Biological Systems & Eng
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems & Engineering Division (BSE) is looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, and technically proficient Research Associate or Senior Research Associate to join a multidisciplinary team of analytical chemists, microbiologists, molecular biologists, chemical engineers, and chemists at the Joint BioEnergy Institute (https://www.jbei.org/) and the Agile BioFoundry (https://agilebiofoundry.org/).
In this exciting role, you will assist in the implementation of analytical protocols required for metabolomics experiments. Duties will include semi-routine bench-scale analytical chemistry assays, sample preparation and data analysis. You will support metabolic engineering experiments with the use of metabolite analysis, sample preparation, cell culturing, and molecular biology techniques.
What You Will Do:
• Support bioanalytical research with biological sample analysis (metabolite, carbohydrate, lipid, or fuel related products, etc.) via mass spectrometry-based analytical methodologies.
• Provide data analysis via various analysis platforms (e.g., Agilent Technologies Mass Hunter Qual and Quant, Profinder, etc.) and assistance with cross-cutting technologies across JBEI related projects.
• Contribute to metabolomics methods development efforts.
• Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of analytical instrumentation.
• Assist in metabolic engineering experiments with the use of metabolite sample preparation, cell culturing, and molecular biology techniques.
• Assist in efforts to track sample movement in cross-divisional collaborations at JBEI.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=232072 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Biological Systems & Engineering Division’s vision is to lead efforts that combine the power of biology with the tools of engineering to develop sustainable energy and manufacturing solutions to improve human health.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here (https://benefits.lbl.gov/).
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (http://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
What is Required:
• A minimum of 1 year of hands-on experience with biological sample preparation (e.g., metabolic quenching and metabolite extraction techniques).
• Understanding of Chemistry, Biology, and Biochemistry concepts.
• Understanding of Analytical techniques (e.g., HPLC-UV/vis, LC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID).
• Good analytical skills including the ability to problem solve, troubleshoot, multitask, and understand operating procedures.
• Proficient computer skills for documentation and basic analysis.
• Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary laboratory environment.
• Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to maintain detailed and accurate laboratory documents, reports, and operating procedures.
What We Prefer:
• A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology or a related field.
• Understanding of Microbial Metabolism and Physiology
• Hands-on experience with cell culturing and molecular biology techniques.
• Experience with automation via liquid handling robots.
For full consideration, please apply by July 15, 2022 with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
• This is a full time, career appointment.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be performed onsite at the Emery Station Operations Center — 5885 Hollis Street Emeryville, CA.
Company Name: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Bringing Science Solutions to the World From the infinite scale of the universe to the infinitesimal scale of subatomic particles, researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory – Berkeley Lab – are advancing the scope of human knowledge and seeking science solutions to some of the greatest problems facing humankind. Scientific excellence and an unparalleled record of achievement have been the hallmarks of this Laboratory since it was founded in 1931. Fourteen Nobel Prizes are associated with Berkeley Lab. Eighty Lab scientists are members of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), one of the highest honors for a scientist in the United States. Fifteen of our scientists have won the National Medal of Science, our nation’s highest award for lifetime achievement in fields of scientific research, and one (Arthur Rosenfeld) has received the National Medal of Technology and Innovation. In addition, Berkeley Lab has trained tens of thousands of university science and engineering students who are advancing technological innovations across the nation and around the world. Located on a 202-acre site in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus with spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay, Berkeley Lab is a multiprogram science lab in the national laboratory system supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Office of Science. It is managed by the University of California and is charged with conducting unclassified research across a wide range of scientific disciplines. Technologies developed at Berkeley Lab have generated billions of dollars in revenues and thousands of jobs. Savings as a result of Berkeley Lab developments in energy-efficient technologies – from cool roofs to window coatings to appliances – have also been in the billions of dollars. Berkeley Lab was founded by Ernest Orlando Lawrence, a UC Berkeley physicist who won the 1939 Nobel Prize in physics for his invention of the cyclotron, a circular particle accelerator that opened the door to high-energy physics. It was Lawrence’s belief that scientific research is best done through teams of individuals with different fields of expertise, working together. His “team science” concept is a Berkeley Lab legacy; today, a deep commitment to inclusion and diversity brings perspectives that inspire innovative solutions. https://www.lbl.gov