|•||Job Seeker Tools|
|•||Your Saved Jobs|
|•||Build Your Professional Profile|
|Asst. Director, International Student and Scholar Services|
Company: University of Miami
Location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/17/2022
Expire Date: 07/17/2022
Job Categories: Information Technology
Asst. Director, International Student and Scholar Services|
The Division of Enrollment Management has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Assistant Director, International Student and Scholar Services to work in Coral Gables, FL.
The Assistant Director, International Services, oversees the daily operations of the international services and study abroad/exchange programs. Facilitates the application process for outbound and incoming students, assist in the development of new programs and initiatives, assist with marketing efforts, and serve as a liaison to faculty, student services offices, and academic departments. The assistant director is also responsible for organizing events such as faculty orientations, student orientations, workshops, information sessions, and fairs.
Nature of Responsibilities
Provides a variety of services and programs to University of Miami international students and scholars:
1. Serves as an official University of Miami "Designated School Official" for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and as an official University of Miami "Alternate Responsible Officer" for U.S. Department of State.
2. Responsible for complying with DHSís Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record keeping and reporting requirements, which identify specific data, and events that must be retained or reported within defined time frames.
3. Provides F-1 and J-1 international students and J-1 international scholars with a wide range of benefits, including employment, available to them under the regulations and requiring institutional involvement.
4. Provides pre-arrival information and orientation for F-1 and J-1 international students and J-1 international scholars.
5. Advises F-1 and J-1 international students, J-1 international scholars, and their dependents regarding immigration regulations and benefits related to their status.
6. Advises F-1 and J-1 international students on academic progress, particularly low grades, reduced course load, and referral to remedial services.
7. Advises F-1 and J-1 international students and J-1 international scholars regarding cultural adjustment, taxes, health, social, financial, and other personal concerns.
8. Maintains the International Student and Scholar Management (ISSM) database, a web-based system, which allows schools to electronically interface with SEVIS.
9. Provides coordination and information regarding F-1 and J-1 international student regulations and requirements to Admission, Study Abroad Office, Intensive English Program and other University departments.
10. Serves as a liaison between academic advisors, sponsors, and F-1 and J-1 international students regarding students' progress toward educational goals.
11. Serves as a liaison between sponsori ng embassies, government, and agencies.
12. Processes emergency loan and grants.
13. Provides assistance with personal problems, adjustment problems, coping with crises, and serves as an advocate.
14. Provides a variety of programs for international students including, but not limited to, International Student Orientation and the International Student Mentor Program.
15. Provides advising and guidance to the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO).
16. Prepares international student enrollment reports for the University and the Institute for International Educationís publication Open Doors, which compiles and analyzes international student data throughout the U.S.
17. Updates the departmental website of the Department of International Student and Scholar Services with information for F-1 and J-1 international students and J-1 international scholars.
Contributes information and ideas related to the F-1 International Student Program in development of division/department/school-wide strategy and operational initiatives.
Contributes ideas and viewpoints to the Associate Director of International Student and Scholar Services on operational plans for the F-1 International Student Program.
Bachelorís degree in related field (education, international relations, communication) required.
Masterís degree preferred.
Three years experience as a Designated School Official (DSO) advising F-1 international students on immigration matters required, five years experience preferred. Any relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
In-depth knowledge of U.S. Department of Homeland Security F-1 visa status regulations required.
Familiarity with ISSM case management system.
Experience and skills with computer applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), including websites, required.
Strong organizational, intercultural and technical information skills required.
Excellent spoken and written English skills required.