Company: Arizona State University
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 10/19/2021
Expire Date: 12/19/2021
Job Categories: Other
Arizona State University
UI UX Design
The University Technology Office (UTO) at ASU is seeking a highly motivated UX Designer to create, guide and support the user experience (UX) of our growing base of cutting-edge digital products and programs.
ASU is committed to maintaining the most dynamic and productive learning experience in all of higher education. ASU offers a total compensation package that includes valuable employee benefits. Click here to explore options. The technology initiatives we’re engaged in are transformative and unprecedented in our industry. The UTO has over 500 employees, offering a variety of career paths in a highly collaborative work environment. As with everyone in the UTO family, culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role.
The UTO is at the forefront of developing IT platforms and tools that add value to the user experience. Join a UX team composed of designers, researchers, writers, and specialists focused on creating intuitive, engaging user-centered solutions. The UX team works in all stages of the development cycle, gathering insights about the attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of people who use our products and using them to guide and validate design. We promote a culture that embraces innovation, teamwork, and high quality, data-driven design.
UX Designers empower teams by conceptualizing and prototyping what is possible before it is built. They assist in gathering strategic insights, guiding user-centered design methods, and crafting industry-leading experiences from concept to execution. They focus on quality, usability, and simplicity, with a commitment to honoring the ASU brand. Primary functions are creating user flows, wireframes, mock-ups and prototypes to transform complex tasks into intuitive, accessible digital experiences.
Our success depends on bright, energetic, talented people who share a passion for UX. Join us!
$66,900 - $75,000 per year; DOE
• Take responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms -- collaborating across our teams as well as participating in UTO/ASU events and programs.
• Work from high-level requirements and ask the right questions to gather all relevant information to guide design direction.
• Practice strong communication, presentation, and analytical skills including the ability to communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively.
• Help plan and work from design strategies like personas, journey maps, user scenarios, task analysis, contextual observation, user interviews, surveys, and web analytics.
• Take into account existing insights, technical constraints, and specific platform demands to recommend appropriate solutions.
• Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-Fi sketches and prototypes.
• Create compelling experiences for our users to engage with that span personas, contexts and devices across the ecosystem.
• Collaborate and work cross-functionally to ensure that we are using cohesive solutions and consistent patterns.
• May assume or coordinate other duties as assigned or directed.
Bachelor's degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS related field AND three (3) years of industry experience OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
• Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs.
• Experience in stimulating changes in individual, institutional and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment.
• Experience in modeling empathy, compassion and emotional intelligence.
• Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
• Experience in helping foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive.
• Evidence of a digital portfolio or work samples demonstrating relevant UX work which displays user-centered design principles; mobile sample required.
• Experience in understanding user’s needs, motivations and behaviors and translate them into actionable deliverables.
• Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with engineers to ensure the successful implementation of a design.
• Evidence of a sharp eye for detail and highly developed organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines with a quick turnaround.
• Evidence of an effective communicator and presenter with an aptitude for translating design ideas into visuals and speaking confidently about their work to varied audiences.
• Demonstrated knowledge of usability and user experience design principles.
• Evidence of great design skills, with experience as a UX Designer.
• Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
• Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
• Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
• Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
• Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
The University Technology Office (UTO) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/...
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-... You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 72808BR
Company Name: Arizona State University
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.