|Sr Medical Technologist - Blood Bank|
Company: University of Miami
Location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 10/12/2021
Expire Date: 05/14/2022
Job Categories: Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical, Computers, Software, Education, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Human Resources, Information Technology, Installation, Maintenance, and Repair, Internet/E-Commerce, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration, Executive Management, Quality Control, Research & Development, Medical, Environmental, Web Technology
Sr Medical Technologist - Blood Bank|
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Pathology has several openings for a Sr. Medical Technologist for the Blood Bank. The Sr. Medical Technologist verifies identification of specimen with physicians' orders, prepares specimens for testing, and handles all specimens in a safe and careful manner.
* Analyzes results of testing and interprets abnormal or unusual results. Researches and prepares all pertinent patient data and refers all data and testing results to pathologists for evaluation and sign-out.
* Calibrates equipment, orders supplies and maintains inventory of relevant forms and materials. Recognizes test inconsistencies and takes appropriate corrective action while supporting laboratory co-workers in resolution of similar problems.
* Administers quality-control tests, according to procedure, and maintains appropriate data recording. Assumes lead duties and acts as a resource to staff.
* Orients and trains employees on laboratory techniques and operations. Adheres to Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of patient test results.
* Technologists will demonstrate the ability to coordinate and prioritize simultaneous series of tests with complete accuracy, i.e., when working in Chemistry and Hematology. Technologists will appropriately prioritize all STAT work.
*The laboratory personnel on all shifts are responsible to check and finalize all pending work before the end of their shift.
*Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
* Check packing slips, verifies number of items received, documents, and gives copy to supervisor/designee.
* Daily, weekly, periodic maintenance must be performed as scheduled and properly documented.
* Maintains adequate inventory levels as per protocol. Rotates previous stock when it applies.
* Assists in the maintenance of hardware by changing paper, labels, and/or printer ribbons when necessary.
* Contact Biomedical department if equipment needs service.
* Work on projects assigned by Supervisor/Manager.
* Adheres to all Administration, Environmental of Care, CHP, Safety, Infection Control and Laboratory policies and procedures.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field
Possession of current Florida State Medical Technologist License in the areas of: Hematology, Chemistry, Immunohematology, Immunology and Microbiology.
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
Commitment to the University's core values.
Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Job Status:Full time