|Merchant Trainee Program|
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/28/2021
Expire Date: 11/28/2021
Job Categories: Retail/Wholesale
Merchant Trainee Program|
About the Team
Looking for a career you’ll really love? PetSmart is looking for graduating seniors excited to jump start their career through hands-on experience as a Merchant Trainee in our Phoenix Home Office. Through this program, you will gain a range of experience to help you be successful in more specific roles within PetSmart’s Merchandising department. As the foundation for all of PetSmart’s operations, associates at our Phoenix Home Office thrive in a collaborative culture where being the trusted partner to parents and pets in every moment of their lives is priority number one.
About the Job
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Engage in a program that will prepare you for future responsibilities as a PetSmart merchant:
- Make sure the right product is at the right location at the right time
- Achieves sales, margin, inventory turnover, and other KPIs as designated to plan
- Manage store in-stocks, purchase order on time, and fill rate
- Implement best practices and identify opportunities for improvement to support positive growth in sales/margin, drive cost reductions, and enable a strong cross-functional team
- Support the assortment, analysis, and promotion of a specific category
- Set the merchandise strategy for the team including assortment selection, pricing, promotions, and POGs
- Stay abreast of market and competitor trends
- Develop and manage vendor relationships in order to ensure the best prices, products, and shipments
- Identify items to maximize promotional and marketing strategies to meet sales and margin goals
- Drive vendor selection and negotiation of product purchase, terms, and ongoing relationship
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- Graduating Senior (December 2021 or May 2022)
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Retail, Supply Chain, Business, Finance, or a related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Be able to solve complex problems, and you have data to back it up
- Extremely organized and able to multi-task
- Must be able to produce work in a collaborative, team environment
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required
- Like working in a fast-paced, team environment that is constantly changing
- Are naturally curious and love diving deep into details to find solutions
About the Culture
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Connect and socialize with other PetSmart associates early in their career as part of the StartSmart associate resource group.
- Build relationships with a group of diverse-minded, fun, and inclusive teammates.
- Grow and develop. PetSmart associates have access to in-person and online learning and development opportunities year-round.
- Make a difference! Outside of making a difference to pet parents, Phoenix Home Office associates also have the opportunity to volunteer in our community with eight paid hours of volunteer time per year.
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- PetSmart benefits: Tuition reimbursement, health care, associate discounts, and much more!
- Enjoy our campus amenities: “Top Dog” gym fitness center, dog park, Starbucks station, Sit&Stay Café.
*Please note: On-Campus amenities are currently limited and/or closed due to Covid-19.
Company Name: PetSmart
PetSmart, Inc. was founded in 1987 in Phoenix, Arizona and has become the leading provider of products, services, and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. PetSmart currently employs over 55,000 associates and operates more than 1,600 stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. In addition, the company operates over 200 in-store PetsHotel dog and cat boarding facilities and Doggie Day Camps, and is a leading online provider of pet supplies and pet care information. Since 1994, the company has partnered with PetSmart Charities, Inc., an independent, nonprofit organization that creates and supports programs that save the lives of homeless pets. As the largest funder of animal welfare efforts in North America, PetSmart Charities has provided more than $245 million in grants and programs benefiting animal welfare agencies. In addition, its in-store adoption program has helped save the lives of over 6 million pets! PetSmart is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce, sustaining an inclusive and supportive work environment, and prohibiting harassment and discrimination in all aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetics, and protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We encourage applicants of all ages, as we do not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s age. PetSmart participates in background, drug and E-Verify screenings as appropriate under Company policies and applicable law.