|Publicist, Countryman Press|
Company: W.W. Norton & Company
Location: New York, NY
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/28/2021
Expire Date: 11/28/2021
Job Categories: Publishing
Publicist, Countryman Press |
The Countryman Press, an imprint of W. W. Norton & Company, seeks an energetic, ambitious, and creative professional to serve as its book publicist. The publicist must possess book experience in the fields of cooking, health, and lifestyle topics such as parenting, gardening, pet care, crafts, and travel/hiking. A passion for any of these areas is a plus. Candidates must demonstrate a knowledge of the current media landscape, strong contacts, experience handling different projects simultaneously, and the ability to work independently to build successful publicity campaigns.
Countryman is a close-knit and collaborative imprint; its books are designed to inspire, entertain, and teach. Our current list includes food and beverage titles such as The King Arthur Baking Company’s All-Purpose Baker’s Companion, Matthew Raiford’s Bress ‘n’ Nyam, Sam Zien’s Sam the Cooking Guy: Recipes with Intentional Leftovers, and The Big Book of Amaro; outdoor and travel titles including the Explorer’s Guides and 50 Hikes series; and lifestyle books such as The Wonder Weeks, 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste, Olive, Mabel & Me, and Gardentopia.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
• Creating, developing and executing publicity campaigns for all of Countryman’s books
• Writing press materials and coordinating media mailings of galleys, blads, and finished copies
• Handling seasonal publicity mailings and other occasional imprint-wide p.r. outreach
• Evaluating book proposals for publicity potential and sharing those perspectives at editorial/acquisition meetings
• Cultivating positive working relationships with authors and the media
• Working closely with Countryman’s marketing manager to coordinate plans and present ideas at bi-weekly marketing meetings and seasonal sales conferences
• Keeping Norton’s sales department and other relevant departments and individuals apprised of updates and campaign highlights
(Please note: above description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee)
Required Qualifications Include:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 4-6 years of relevant experience, including independently executing media campaigns
• Background working with press and with broadcast, online, and social media in a publicity capacity
• Excellent writing, analytical, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Cision
• Excellent time-management skills
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• A high level of initiative and a positive, can-do approach in a rapidly changing environment
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the U.S.
• Ability to work full business hours from the company’s New York City headquarters. (Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, however, we are temporarily providing the option to work remotely.)
About W. W. Norton & Company and The Countryman Press W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. Founded by William Warder Norton and Mary Dows Herter Norton in 1923, the firm now publishes app. 450 books annually in its combined divisions and continues to adhere to its original motto, “Books That Live,” striving to publish works of enduring distinction in the areas of nonfiction, fiction, poetry, textbooks, and digital media. For more information about the company, visit us online at https://wwnorton.com. The Countryman Press began in Woodstock, Vermont in 1974 as a publisher of New England-specific books. Since its acquisition by Norton in 1995, Countryman has expanded its offerings to encompass multiple regions of the country as well as broad national interest. Its books are both practical and exciting, addressing the areas of cooking/food and beverage, health, gardening, parenting, pet care, humor, outdoor activity, sustainable living, and other topics. For more information, please visit https://wwnorton.com/countryman-press. W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.