|Associate Director, Strategic Research and Development (Neuroscience and/or Nephrology)|
Company: Otsuka Pharmaceuticals
Location: Princeton, NJ
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/11/2021
Expire Date: 06/11/2021
Job Categories: Other
Associate Director, Strategic Research and Development (Neuroscience and/or Nephrology)|
The Associate Director of McQuade Center for Strategic Research & Development (MSRD) plays a key role in providing strategic and operational support for scientific evaluation of early science R&D opportunities within Neuroscience AND/OR Nephrology. The individual will be responsible for technical evaluation of early stage drug development opportunities, especially, those in the discovery and/or pre-clinical stages. This position requires proven scientific skills and understanding of the development, regulatory and commercial aspects of the pharmaceutical/biotech industry, with high emphasis on pre-clinical research. The individual will serve as a core member of Otsuka's MSRD team to facilitate steering committee decisions, lead due diligence activities and support transaction processes with scientific inputs. This role will ensure that MSRD's business development strategies and decisions are implemented at the operational level and that actions are consistent with the str ategy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Act as key external facing contact for potential partners with MSRD
* Perform in-depth scientific evaluation of external opportunities across all stages of discovery and pre-clinical drug development.
* Work closely with relevant internal R&D and commercial teams to understand their growth strategies and align scouting activities and opportunity assessment to these strategies.
* Conduct secondary-research based searches and participate in BD and scientific conferences to identify growth opportunities principally in the neuroscience and renal fields.
* Work with cross-functional teams and workflows for scientific, clinical and commercial due diligence of potential targets.
* Coordinate the activities/input necessary to establish the business case (scientific/ technical evaluation, development plan, market research, market opportunity, competitive intelligence, strategic assessment, appropriate transaction financial structure etc.) for strategic investments.
* Generate competitive intelligence reports and briefing summaries/presentation for MSRD steering committee.
* Support activities necessary in completing transactions and deal transition activities to facilitate post-deal operations.
* Proven experience and expertise of working in pharma/biotech business development environment, with a minimum of 3 years' experience in the pharma/biotech business development is required.
* Clear understanding of drug discovery process and disease pathophysiology of CNS and/or kidney diseases.
* Ability to understand preclinical and clinical data and analyze the competitive landscape of drug R&D pipeline.
* Demonstrable success and flexibility in working with multi-location, geographically spread teams.
* Strong communication skills and ability to work with multiple functional areas. Experience in making presentations and business cases to the corporate C-suite is desired.
* Ability to act independently with self-driven initiatives to resolve problems and improve current processes.
* Advanced degree (such as MD, PhD) with minimum 4 years of pharma/biotech work experience and 3 years' experience in pharma/biotech business development is required.
* Bachelor's degree with minimum 8 years of pharma/biotech work experience with 3-4 years in pharma/biotech business development is required.
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka.
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.
Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
Job postings, job offers, or introductions to enter into a business relationship with Otsuka through a third-party vendor may be unauthorized. Avoid being the subject of a scam by dealing only directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External . Any authorized third-party vendor job boards should redirect any inquiry to this Otsuka Career website.