Company: Afterschool Alliance
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 02/25/2021
Expire Date: 04/25/2021
Job Categories: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Education, Other, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Communications Associate |
We are seeking a Communications Associate to support our mission to provide kids equal
access to afterschool and summer programs, to help them learn and grow, and provide working
families with peace of mind. We’ve worked to ensure 7.8 million children have fun, engaging
programs after school, but there are 25 million more children waiting to get in a program.
The ideal candidate must have superb writing and editing skills, and an eye for graphic
presentations that convey or support key facts and data. This role bridges communications with
other teams, including research, policy, and field outreach, to help develop compelling written
and visual content that communicates our messages effectively.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
● Drafting blogs, blast emails, and social media posts.
● Crafting messages that resonate with various audiences, policymakers, and partners.
● Supporting the release of reports and initiatives undertaken by other departments, specifically research and policy
● Distill key research findings into engaging, succinct messages for websites, enewsletters, and social, while ensuring accuracy and fidelity to research findings.
● Help execute communications and publicity campaigns around key reports and initiatives to ensure that our work both reaches and resonates with target audiences (policymakers, afterschool and summer program leaders, advocates).
● Provide guidance to design team on developing materials and leading the editing, proofing, and feedback process with designed materials.
● Create (or manage the creation of) concise, accurate, and compelling content, both written and visual.
● Serve as the final check for proofing and copy editing of reports, publications, and other materials.
● Collecting communications metrics on website, blogs, and social media and reporting analytics to Communications team
Qualifications: The Afterschool Alliance offers a well-balanced work environment with a
supportive and growing team and opportunities for advancement. Candidates should have:
● Strong writing, editing, and proofing skills; eye for graphic presentation of data and key
● Experience writing for social media, website, blog, and email
● Experience producing written and visual materials that convey main points of data,
policy, or other content in clear, concise, compelling, and accurate materials
● Demonstrated skills in storytelling and creativity; good sense of how tell the story
expressed in the data or content and suggest the best options for conveying that story
● Interest or experience in data visualization
This position could be a good fit for you if..
● You like to write, and you’re good at it. You have experience turning fuzzy or complex
writing into clear, concise, relatable communications and a strong sense of how to use
visuals to make key points jump out at the audiences and communications more
compelling while staying true to the data.
● You appreciate working in a small, nimble team.
● You are flexible, not afraid to raise ideas or questions, and are comfortable asking for
help or clarity.
● You’re willing to pitch in and help wherever needed to support the organization.
● You have an eye for detail and take pride in your ability to turn off outside distractions or
pressures to focus on eliminating typos and creating the clearest communications
● You enjoy digging into policy and/or research and can work as a creative partner to help
distill complex or jargon-y language into compelling and clear communications
● You believe deeply in our mission.
Hours per week: 40 hrs
Employment type: full time, regular