AUSL seeks talented, committed individuals who passionately believe that all students deserve a quality education. Work to transform the educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools through the Chicago Teacher Residency (CTR), AUSL's specialized training program. The CTR is an intensive and supportive program that develops highly-effective teachers through a yearlong, residency-based training model.
- Learn strategies that will help you grow as a teacher.
- Teach in a supportive school environment.
- Inspire your students to achieve their dreams.
Residents are full-time, paid educators working in AUSL-managed neighborhood Chicago Public Schools (CPS). Our graduates go on to become CPS teachers, trusted mentors, and effective school leaders.
During the Training Year
- Obtain practical classroom experience with regular guidance from a mentor teacher.
- Challenge your students while challenging yourself as an educator.
- Learn and work with other residents in a cohort, creating a built-in support system.
- Complete a master's degree. Tuition rates are subsidized and financial aid is available.
- Earn $30,000 ($40,000 for middle and high school mathematics).
- Participate in an AUSL-sponsored medical insurance plan.
- Become eligible for an Illinois Educator License (if not already licensed).
After the Training Year
- Teach in an AUSL-managed Chicago Public School for at least four years.
- Receive ongoing professional development and support.
- Join a network of committed educators making a difference in the lives of over 18,000 students.
- Earn a CPS salary at a master's degree level (starting at $54,161).
- Become eligible to receive Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness after five years.
- Bachelor's degree by June 2015
- Minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework
- Dedication, commitment and resilience to succeed in an urban public school
- Authorization to work in the US for any employer (without sponsorship)
No previous teaching experience is needed. This program is open to graduating seniors, recent college graduates, and career changers.
AUSL (Academy for Urban School Leadership) is a nationally-recognized Chicago nonprofit school management organization that works in partnership with Chicago Public Schools. Founded in 2001, we currently manage 32 Chicago Public Schools serving more than 18,000 students. AUSL creates schools of excellence by developing highly effective teachers and transforming educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools.
The Chicago Teacher Residency is a master's degree program in education that recruits talented, committed individuals. Combining theory and practice, participants in the program receive the tools they need to become highly-effective educators in Chicago Public Schools. Over 750 educators have graduated from the program. As the oldest and largest teacher residency program in the country, the CTR is recognized as an effective model for teacher education.
AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.