AUSL seeks talented, committed individuals who are passionate about urban education for the Chicago Teacher Residency, a post-graduate program in education. This full-time, yearlong urban teacher training program equips residents with the training, skills, and strategies that will empower their students to pursue their dreams.
Train for a year with an experienced mentor teacher in a supportive environment. Receive regular, structured feedback and learn strategies and techniques that will transform your teaching practice.
- Teach in an environment that maximizes your impact with a school culture and climate that supports high expectations for all. Deliver high-quality instruction and create a culture of excellence in your classroom and school.
- Transform the lives of your students and dramatically improve their chronically underperforming school. Graduates go on to become transformational teachers, trusted mentors, and effective school leaders.
During the Training Year
Train with a mentor teacher 4 days a week
- Take Master's-level coursework during the summer and on Fridays and earn a degree with subsidized tuition rates (financial aid is available)
- Learn and work with other residents, creating a built-in support system of shared experiences
- Earn a $30,000 salary ($40,000 for mathematics) and medical insurance benefits
- Become eligible for an Illinois Educator License (if not already licensed)
- Earn an AmeriCorps Education Award that can be applied toward tuition at National Louis University (depending on eligibility)
After the Training Year
Teach in an AUSL-managed Chicago Public School for at least four years
- Join a network of committed educators making a difference in the lives of over 17,000 students
- Receive ongoing professional development and support including individualized coaching, professional learning communities, curricular experts, and the collegiality of working with fellow resident graduates
- Earn a CPS Master's degree-level salary
- Become eligible to receive Federal loan forgiveness after five years
Minimum Requirements to Apply
Bachelor's degree by June 2014
- Minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework
- U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
- Dedication, commitment and resilience that are required to succeed in an urban public school; prior experience/degree in education not required
Join AUSL and train, teach, and transform the lives of children in Chicago's public schools. Apply by our next deadline (Priority: December 15, 2013) for our coming program year, which begins July 1, 2014. AUSL processes applications throughout the year, so apply early to earn a spot before the program is full.
AUSL improves student achievement in chronically failing schools, primarily in Chicago, through its disciplined transformation process, built on a foundation of specially trained AUSL teachers. AUSL has trained over 650 teachers since 2002 and manages a growing network of 29 Chicago Public Schools serving over 17,000 students. AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.