Genma Holmes Genma Holmes
Tennessee State University class of 1991
Reggie Culpepper Reggie Culpepper
Clark Atlanta University class of 1998
Kennedy Williams Kennedy Williams
Spelman College class of 2020
TUSINGWIRE PATRICK TUSINGWIRE PATRICK
Other College... class of 2005

It's Official - HBCU, Tennessee State University, Hires Former NFL Star, Eddie George, as Head Football Coach!

It
Posted By: Will Moss on May 17, 2021

Looking to take the program to the next level, Tennessee State University has named Eddie George as head football coach. TSU director of athletics Dr. Mikki Allen made the announcement today as George was introduced to the Tiger family.

"Eddie George has been a winner in every facet of the game and we look forward to him bringing that same commitment to our players and having it translate into winning on and off the field," said Allen. "We are excited to have him join us and lead the next chapter of our storied football program."

"I am excited about being named head coach at Tennessee State University," said George.

"I thank Dr. Glover, Dr. Allen, and each of you for the confidence you have placed in me" "All I have done has prepared me for this moment, whether that's my football career, my entrepreneurial endeavors, my acting career." "Coaching is a full commitment, a duty of service. I take that seriously. I've done a lot of soul searching and due diligence. The more I thought about it, I got more and more excited about it. It was like picking up an old guitar or getting back on a bike, it's familiar but in a different capacity." "It's exciting. I'm going to be innovative, creative and fun."

President Glenda Glover called it a great day for the university and looks forward to working with Eddie George as he sustains a successful football program.

"For decades, TSU has always made bold and strategic hires within our athletic programs that laid the foundation for our storied success in sports," commented Glover.

"Eddie George, with the resources he will bring to TSU, is the right choice and investment for the future of the TSU football program and the TSU community."

The celebrated former NFL star will make an announcement regarding his coaching staff in the coming days.

George played college football for Ohio State University and won the Heisman in 1995. That season, his senior year, George rushed for a school record 1,927 yards and 24 touchdowns, an average of 148.23 yards per game, while also catching 47 passes for 417 yards and another score. He left Ohio State second in school history in career rushing yards (3,768) and third in rushing touchdowns (44). The Philadelphia native finished with 4,284 all-purpose yards, 45 touchdowns, and a 5.5 yards per carry average.

In 1996, George was the first-round draft selection of the then-Houston Oilers. He won the NFL Rookie of the Year award that same year, and was the Oilers/Titans' starting tailback through 2003, never missing a start. He made the Pro Bowl four consecutive years (1997–2000), and assisted the Titans to a championship appearance in Super Bowl XXXIV.

He is only the second NFL running back to rush for 10,000 yards while never missing a start, joining Jim Brown. Only Walter Payton (170) started more consecutive regular season games than George's 130.

In 2004, George signed a one-year contract with the Dallas Cowboys where he started eight games and finished the season with 432 yards and four touchdowns. He officially retired in 2006.

George's career totals include 10,441 rushing yards, 268 receptions, 2,227 receiving yards, and 78 touchdowns (68 rushing and 10 receiving).

George was inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame in 2011 and the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

###
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
HBCU CONNECT Announces Official List of Upcoming Hiring Events for Black Professionals!
Congrats to Juan, a Latinx Candidate that Landed Dream Job at a Recent Microsoft HBCU CONNECT Event!
Microsoft Partners with HBCU CONNECT to Host Hiring Event for Black Designers and UI/UX Professionals - Register Today!
Spelman Graduate Leads Growing Travel Business - Looking to Hire More HBCU Graduates!
Excellent Co-Op Program for Computer Science Students in Atlanta, GA - Apply Today!!!
VIP Recruitment Event In The San Francisco Bay Area for Business Development & Sales Professionals!
Latest HBCU Sports
Klinik Apotik Jual Obat Aborsi Manado 082323607616 Harga Cytotec Gastrul Mifepristone Asli COD

Klinik Apotik Jual Obat Aborsi Manado 082323607616 Harga Cytotec Gastrul Mifepristone Asli COD

Obat cytotec Manado, obat gastrul Manado, pil cytotec Manado, jual cytotec Manado, penjual cytotec Manado, jual obat cytotec Manado, penjual misoprostol Manado, jual cytotec di Manado, penjual mifepri ...more
Dokter Dua • 4 Views • July 31st, 2021
Morehouse and Other HBCUs to Participate in Chris Paul's Newly Launched HBCU Tip-Off

Morehouse and Other HBCUs to Participate in Chris Paul's Newly Launched HBCU Tip-Off

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today a newly developed collegiate event in partnership with NBA veteran Chris Paul. The Chris Paul HBCU Tip-Off will take place November 22 an ...more
Kennedy Williams • 870 Views • July 29th, 2021
Howard Volleyball Receives USMC/AVCA Team Academic Award

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) and the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) revealed its 2021 Team Academic Award where Howard University was selected for its academic excellence for ...more
Kennedy Williams • 185 Views • July 27th, 2021

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) and the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) revealed its 2021 Team Academic Award where Howard University was selected for its academic excellence for ...more
Kennedy Williams • 84 Views • July 27th, 2021

Kennedy Williams • 76 Views • July 27th, 2021
Popular HBCU Sports
Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders is finalizing a deal with Jackson State University to become the school's next head coach, according to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger. ...more
Will Moss • 79,010 Views • September 18th, 2020
HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

Duke has long been considered a favorite to land LeBron James Jr., son of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar and living NBA legend. In the wake of today’s monumental Makur Maker news, oddsmakers think t ...more
Will Moss • 76,561 Views • July 20th, 2020
Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Holmes County football coach Marcus Rogers had one main statement to make when his son Khamauri Rogers, the top junior in Mississippi, received an offer from Jackson State on Sept. 23. "I don't kno ...more
Will Moss • 63,437 Views • October 5th, 2020
Deion Sanders Announces His Coaching Staff @ HBCU, Jackson State University!

Deion Sanders Announces His Coaching Staff @ HBCU, Jackson State University!

JACKSON, Miss. – Jackson State head football Deion Sanders is excited to announce his inaugural coaching staff. The staff includes a unique blend of coaches at the NFL, intercollegiate, and prep level ...more
Will Moss • 51,657 Views • December 7th, 2020
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!