Joel Savage Joel Savage
class of 1993
Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012
Beverly Johnson Beverly Johnson
class of

If Companies Don’t Recruit from HBCUs, They’re Missing out on Promising Employees

If Companies Don’t Recruit from HBCUs, They’re Missing out on Promising Employees
Posted By: Will Moss on September 25, 2020

By Barbara L. Adams

South Carolina State University
Companies can improve diversity in hiring by recruiting from historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) such as South Carolina State University, pictured here, writes Barbara L. Adams.Courtesy of South Carolina State University

I shouldn’t have to say this, but I’ll say it anyway: My students have talent. As business school dean and accounting professor at South Carolina State University, a historically Black university, I believe in my students—even when it seems like many employers overlook them.

Attending a historically Black college or university comes with challenges that students at other institutions might not face, particularly a lack of funding and name recognition. Many recruiters seem to exclusively chase pupils from large state schools or well-known private schools. What they don’t realize is that they’re missing out on promising employees.

I have seen firsthand the effect that this can have on my student body. Many of them will not pursue certain careers simply because they don’t possess the confidence to compete. Their senses tell them that they are not prepared to make the transition from classroom to workplace.

With many companies recently making new or increased commitments to a wide range of diversity measures, I encourage them to commit to building stronger relationships with historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). Schools like mine provide a largely untapped resource of bright, hungry students.

For businesses looking to innovate in a challenging economy, looking to diverse sources of talent is not just the right thing to do—it can help to drive bottom line profitability, too. Diversity in representation brings diversity of thought, and that in turn drives innovation.

Here are three recommendations for companies seeking to build stronger relationships with HBCUs:

Build relationships with the faculty

Companies must engage faculty members to make sure courses are preparing students properly. PwC is an example of a company that does this well. The professional services firm hosts a yearly faculty forum where it updates HBCU representatives on the latest capabilities it is looking for in new hires, and listens to feedback from our side.

These efforts mean a lot to us. The firm shows that it genuinely wants our students, and takes strides to help us better prepare them for lasting careers. Even something as simple as periodic conversations with faculty members to mutually share any feedback, roadblocks, or advice can go a long way. Real progress in this space is rooted in strong, trust-based relationships.

Be present with students

A few years ago, my institution launched an executive speaker series where we host representatives from companies to share career advice. Topics range from “a day in the life” to the skills and knowledge that hiring managers expect from recruits. Two companies that do this effectively are BMW and Boeing: Boeing designates a certain day each year where company representatives speak in different classes, and both companies provide students scholarships.

Efforts like these don’t just offer vital advice to future workers—they send a message to my students that they have a chance to fill a role where they have an equal footing from day one. This form of direct interaction can speak volumes.

Hire our students

Offering money is great, and so is sharing advice. But when it comes down to it, our students need opportunities. I have seen firsthand how internships can turn even the shiest, most self-doubting student into one who speaks up, shares with other students, and exudes newfound confidence.

Our students deserve serious consideration, and the companies we’ve partnered with already have done that well. Now, the recent rise in virtual recruiting makes it easier for other companies to offer crucial on-the-job experience that can change the trajectory of their lives.

Most HBCUs don’t have access to resources that a large university can offer, so financial support is important. But if a good relationship is built first, the financial support can follow.

Companies and HBCUs working together is mutually beneficial. And at South Carolina State University and other HBCUs, we’re offering qualified, diverse students who are ready to compete in the workplace, bring fresh and innovative ideas, and drive greater productivity.

Barbara L. Adams is the business school dean and an accounting professor at South Carolina State University.
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Did Donald Trump 'Save' Historically Black Colleges & Universities?
HBCU Lincoln University to Open Police Academy to Recruit More Black Police Officers
Coupa Software Partners with HBCUConnect.com to Hire More Black Professionals for Careers in Tech, Sales, HR & Program Manage
HBCU Grad and NBA Standout Continues to Give Back to His Alma-Mater, Norfolk State University
The Boston Beer Company Partners with HBCUConnect.com to Recruit HBCU Grads for Careers in The Beverage & Spirits Industry!
JPMorgan Chase Offers HBCU & HSI Leadership Conference for Black and Latinx College Students - Apply Today!
Latest Client News & Resources
McDONALD’S EXPANDS GLOBAL JOB READINESS AND LIFE SKILLS TRAINING PROGRAM

McDONALD’S EXPANDS GLOBAL JOB READINESS AND LIFE SKILLS TRAINING PROGRAM

McDONALD’S EXPANDS GLOBAL JOB READINESS AND LIFE SKILLS TRAINING PROGRAM McDonald's, in partnership with the International Youth Foundation, is improving equity in skills training and opportunities ...more
Angela Salerno-Robin • 171 Views • September 25th, 2020
Walgreens Boots Alliance Celebrates Release of First Global D&I Report

Walgreens Boots Alliance Celebrates Release of First Global D&I Report

Proud to celebrate WBA’s new Diversity & Inclusion report showcasing all the ways they are creating an inclusive workplace culture across their global organization and engaging with their diverse cust ...more
Will Moss • 472 Views • September 21st, 2020
Employer FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions from Employers on HBCUConnect.com

Employer FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions from Employers on HBCUConnect.com

Here are some frequently asked questions, and answers that we get from employers using our site: Do you offer discounts for recurring job postings? Yes, we do offer discounts for multiple job post ...more
Will Moss • 910 Views • August 3rd, 2020
The Value of Non-Traditional Forms of Diversity Recruiting

The Value of Non-Traditional Forms of Diversity Recruiting

There’s a reason why traditional diversity recruitment methods are used consistently—many have proven successful, so why not continue using them. Job fairs, career expos, and targeted listings are all ...more
Elynor Moss • 1,611 Views • June 30th, 2020
4 Initial Strategies for Starting Your Diversity Recruitment Outreach

4 Initial Strategies for Starting Your Diversity Recruitment Outreach

Increased talent diversity is a common goal for most businesses these days. Though many organization want a more diverse workforce, most organizations are unaware of how to achieve it. Diversity ...more
Elynor Moss • 1,577 Views • June 30th, 2020
Popular Client News & Resources
2011 Texas Southern University Tiger Career Exposition

2011 Texas Southern University Tiger Career Exposition

Dear Employers: It is indeed a pleasure to invite you to Texas Southern University's (TSU) 2011 Career Exposition. The event will be held on September 29, 2011 from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in the TS ...more
Elynor Moss • 47,776 Views • June 24th, 2011
Check out the Top 20 College Majors for HBCU Students

Check out the Top 20 College Majors for HBCU Students

Do you want to know what the Top 20 Majors are that HBCU Students are choosing? If so, check out our list that was generated by polling the members of HBCUConnect.com. 1. Business Administration 2 ...more
Elynor Moss • 39,795 Views • August 9th, 2011
Check here for your list of Historically Black Colleges that offer a concentration in Sales...

Check here for your list of Historically Black Colleges that offer a concentration in Sales...

Please check out the list below of HBCUs that offer sales courses and/or degrees. If you need help contacting these colleges let our staff know and we are happy to help you connect. HBCUs with Sale ...more
Elynor Moss • 39,373 Views • July 14th, 2011
Microsoft & HBCU CONNECT Announce VIP Recruitment Event in May for Black Tech Professionals

Microsoft & HBCU CONNECT Announce VIP Recruitment Event in May for Black Tech Professionals

In partnership with Microsoft Cloud & Enterprise Business, Microsoft IT, and Global Foundations Services, HBCU CONNECT is offering black technical professionals the opportunity to meet with representa ...more
Elynor Moss • 38,203 Views • April 23rd, 2014
Microsoft & HBCU Connect Launch New Online Technical Challenge to offer jobs to African Americans.

Microsoft & HBCU Connect Launch New Online Technical Challenge to offer jobs to African Americans.

HBCUConnect.com, in partnership with Microsoft, recently announced a contest to promote opportunities for minority professionals with experience in the IT industry, to compete for prizes, recognition ...more
Elynor Moss • 38,063 Views • April 23rd, 2014
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!