class of
Daniel Moss Daniel Moss
class of
Kirstin Byrd Kirstin Byrd
Spelman College class of 2005

Another Top Football Prospect Commits to an HBCU - Morgan State University

Another Top Football Prospect Commits to an HBCU - Morgan State University
Posted By: Will Moss on September 20, 2020

Reservoir senior Malcolm Brown works on his quarterback skills with teammates at the school on Wednesday, July 29.

Reservoir senior Malcolm Brown works on his quarterback skills with teammates at the school on Wednesday, July 29. (Brian Krista/Baltimore Sun Media Group)

Morgan State added to its influx of Baltimore-area football talent when Reservoir quarterback Malcolm Brown announced his commitment to the Bears on Twitter at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Brown’s commitment came after building a strong line of communication with Morgan State coach Tyrone Wheatley. Wheatley did his due diligence on the young quarterback and that sold Brown on the Bears.

“I chose Morgan State because I had a great relationship with the coach and he reached out to me earlier in the year, even before quarantine and everything,” Brown said. “He tried to recruit me well and I think he did a good job. We used to have film sessions where we would watch the film of their [Morgan State’s] season and that’s how I knew that he really cared and wanted to recruit me.”

Another player that will be joining Brown at Morgan State is Mount Saint Joseph wide receiver Tyler Wilkins. The two have led the charge of keeping players in state to play for the Bears.

Brown said being from the Baltimore area gives him an extra chip on his shoulder.

“It’s going to be great because I feel like a lot of kids in our area are overlooked,” Brown said. “When we get on the big stage at Morgan, we’ll be able to put on for the fan base and everything and make a name for kids that are in our area.

Of their 2020 commits, Morgan State ranks second in the MEAC with two three-star talents in running back De’Andre Bulley and quarterback Raequan Beal from Michigan. They’ve also signed wide receiver DJ Hamler, a cousin of current Denver Broncos wide receiver KJ Hamler, in the same class.

A number of Black athletes have decided in recent months to flood the talent pool of Historically Black Colleges and Universities. HBCU programs such as Morgan State and others have been at the forefront of getting higher levels of talent to come play at their schools.

“I feel like HBCUs are underfunded and they play good football and they just need more publicity,” Brown said. “It’s going to be big play for an HBCU over a PWI, which is the other option.”

In addition to his offer from Morgan State, Brown was in contact with Delaware, Old Dominion, St. Francis (Pa.) Syracuse and Towson.

Brown completed 139 of 266 passes to lead Howard County with 1,844 yards, 16 passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown. He set a Reservoir record for single-game passing yards (414), completions (29) and touchdowns (4) against Oakland Mills on Sept. 27.

The senior quarterback initially started playing tight end and defensive end. Reservoir coach Bryan Cole thinks Brown will grow in every season that he plays due to his ability to soak in information.

“From my experience, every year he progresses, but it’s schematically too,” Cole said. “So, he’s not just good at throwing it — we run RPOs [run-pass options] now because of some of his talents. He’s reading and then throwing. Every year he progresses, he’s always been good at throwing deep, but those midrange passes have been improved upon during his junior year. It’s almost night and day between his sophomore and junior year for short and midrange passes.”

Kyle J. Andrews
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
New Morgan Stanley HBCU Scholarship to Cover Full Tuition for 60 HBCU Students!
Remote Work from Home Opportunity for Black Professionals in Sales
Free, Salary Negotiation Workshop for the HBCU Community - Register Today!
Register Today to Attend Amazon's Career Enrichment Summit for Minority Students and Professionals!
T.I. Offers HBCU Scholarship with The Release of Latest Album... And It's Pretty Good :)
Microsoft Launches Hiring Event Looking for More Black Software Engineering Professionals for New Atlanta Location!
Latest HBCU Sports
Deion Sanders Signs 4 Year $1.2 Million Dollar Deal with HBCU Jackson State University

Deion Sanders Signs 4 Year $1.2 Million Dollar Deal with HBCU Jackson State University

Deion Sanders’s contract with Jackson State is a four-year, $1.2 million deal that includes at least $120,000 in annual performance incentives and an automatic extension for an eight-win season. Th ...more
Will Moss • 34,919 Views • October 17th, 2020
Another NFL Star, Michael Thomas, Steps Up to Support HBCUs!

Another NFL Star, Michael Thomas, Steps Up to Support HBCUs!

Texans safety Michael Thomas is auctioning off game-worn jerseys to benefit his scholarship fund for historically Black colleges and universities. That includes jerseys worn by himself, defensive e ...more
Will Moss • 9,205 Views • October 13th, 2020
Former NBA Star, Jerry Stackhouse, Hints at a Possible HBCU Basketball Tournament!

Former NBA Star, Jerry Stackhouse, Hints at a Possible HBCU Basketball Tournament!

By Michael Gallagher The Vanderbilt men’s basketball team has had its fair share of schedule rearranging for the 2020 season due to COVID-19. Usually starting the first week of November, the NCA ...more
Will Moss • 2,438 Views • October 13th, 2020
NFL Star Receiver Chad Ocho Cinco Wants to Coach at HBCU Florida A&M University

NFL Star Receiver Chad Ocho Cinco Wants to Coach at HBCU Florida A&M University

Years before Deion "Prime Time" Sanders agreed to a head coaching job at an HBCU (Jackson State University), star wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco expressed his desire to coach at an HBCU. Specifica ...more
Will Moss • 24,689 Views • October 9th, 2020
Former NFL Star and HBCU Grad Jimmy Smith, Hoping to Join Deion Sanders at Jackson State University!

Former NFL Star and HBCU Grad Jimmy Smith, Hoping to Join Deion Sanders at Jackson State University!

Jacksonville Jaguars legend Jimmy Smith wants to join Deion Sanders’ coaching staff at Jackson State University. “I would almost give my left arm to be a part of this staff,” Smith told TMZ Sport ...more
Will Moss • 12,046 Views • October 7th, 2020
Popular HBCU Sports
Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders is finalizing a deal with Jackson State University to become the school's next head coach, according to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger. ...more
Will Moss • 75,404 Views • September 18th, 2020
HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

Duke has long been considered a favorite to land LeBron James Jr., son of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar and living NBA legend. In the wake of today’s monumental Makur Maker news, oddsmakers think t ...more
Will Moss • 72,740 Views • July 20th, 2020
Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Holmes County football coach Marcus Rogers had one main statement to make when his son Khamauri Rogers, the top junior in Mississippi, received an offer from Jackson State on Sept. 23. "I don't kno ...more
Will Moss • 60,129 Views • October 5th, 2020
High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

The news is in, and Prime Time, Deion Sanders, is the new head coach of Jackson State University's men's football team as of Monday, September 21st, 2020. We at HBCUConnect.com have already been re ...more
Will Moss • 36,484 Views • September 21st, 2020
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!