Kamal Imani Kamal Imani
class of
Joel Savage Joel Savage
class of 1993
Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012

Drew Brees and Wife Brittany Sponsor HBCU Event Entitled "Black College Football: The Road to Equality"

Drew Brees and Wife Brittany Sponsor HBCU Event Entitled "Black College Football: The Road to Equality"
Posted By: Will Moss on September 13, 2020

It has been a challenging offseason for Drew Brees and wife Brittany Brees after the Saints quarterback’s initial comments about protests conducted during the national anthem was met with backlash. This summer, Drew reiterated his stance against players kneeling during the national anthem but later issued several apologies for his comments. The couple has spent the offseason trying to do their part to help in the fight for racial equality.

Back in June, Brittany also issued a lengthy apology on the Brees Dream Foundation’s Instagram page. Brittany noted that she now understands how commenting on the flag has prohibited the couple from initially listening to those who choose to protest during the anthem.

“…Somehow as white Americans we feel like that checks the box of doing the right thing,” Brittany explained on Instagram. “Not until this week did Drew and I realize THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM. To say ‘I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag ‘.. I now understand was also saying I don’t understand what the problem really is, I don’t understand what you’re fighting for, and I’m not willing to hear you because of our preconceived notion‘s of what that flag means to us. That’s the problem we are not listening, white America is not hearing.”

Drew told Yahoo Finance in June that he would “never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag.” The Saints quarterback has since gone back on his stance and even took on President Donald Trump with social media posts.

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Drew explained. “Let me just tell what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that’s what I think about.

The couple became the presenting sponsor of the HBCU event “Black College Football: The Road to Equality.” Drew explained the goal of the event was to “raise funds and awareness for HBCU football programs.”

“Our goal for this meaningful event is to engage in the national discussion on social justice by sharing the history of black college football and its impact on civil rights,” Drew said on Instagram. “It is also intended to be a platform to raise funds and awareness for HBCU football programs and the Black College Football Hall of Fame.”

Later in the offseason, Drew and Brittany pledged a $5 million donation through Ochsner Health to “build numerous healthcare centers throughout Louisiana in the communities that need it most.”

“We will continue to bridge the gap to bring healthcare, education, and economic equity to all of our communities,” Drew added. “We are proud to bring the first of these health care centers to New Orleans East later this year.”

Brittany ended her note with an apology and a promise to “do better.” She went on to say that it is “our job to educate ourselves.”

“To all of our friends and anyone we hurt …we will do better.. We want to do better, we want to HEAR you, and we will fight for you because thinking we are not part of the problem…is checking the box it means we are are not doing enough,” Brittany added. “It’s our job to educate ourselves. We are sorry 🙏🏻.”

Backlash to Drew’s original comments about the flag came from across the sports world, including Michael Thomas and several other of his Saints teammates. Drew and Brittany have been married since 2003 and have four kids together. Brittany’s apology came several weeks after Drew issued his own comments on Instagram.

“In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country,” Drew noted. “They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy.

#hbcu #hbcuconnect #hbcufootball #hbcusports #drewbrees
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Did Donald Trump 'Save' Historically Black Colleges & Universities?
HBCU Lincoln University to Open Police Academy to Recruit More Black Police Officers
Coupa Software Partners with HBCUConnect.com to Hire More Black Professionals for Careers in Tech, Sales, HR & Program Manage
HBCU Grad and NBA Standout Continues to Give Back to His Alma-Mater, Norfolk State University
The Boston Beer Company Partners with HBCUConnect.com to Recruit HBCU Grads for Careers in The Beverage & Spirits Industry!
JPMorgan Chase Offers HBCU & HSI Leadership Conference for Black and Latinx College Students - Apply Today!
Latest HBCU Sports
HBCU Grad and NBA Standout Continues to Give Back to His Alma-Mater, Norfolk State University

Kyle O’Quinn scored 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in what was inarguably the most important win in Norfolk State athletics history. More than eight years later, the NBA player quietly continues ...more
Will Moss • 6,542 Views • October 27th, 2020
NCAA Scrutinizing Deion Sanders & HBCU, Jackson State University - Probation & Recruiting Restrictions Already...

NCAA Scrutinizing Deion Sanders & HBCU, Jackson State University - Probation & Recruiting Restrictions Already...

Who knew the NCAA came after FCS programs for recruiting violations? While jokes about the future of the Jackson State program were easy to make after Deion Sanders was hired at the school, turns o ...more
Will Moss • 24,893 Views • October 25th, 2020
Deion Sanders Signs 4 Year $1.2 Million Dollar Deal with HBCU Jackson State University

Deion Sanders Signs 4 Year $1.2 Million Dollar Deal with HBCU Jackson State University

Deion Sanders’s contract with Jackson State is a four-year, $1.2 million deal that includes at least $120,000 in annual performance incentives and an automatic extension for an eight-win season. Th ...more
Will Moss • 35,552 Views • October 17th, 2020
Another NFL Star, Michael Thomas, Steps Up to Support HBCUs!

Another NFL Star, Michael Thomas, Steps Up to Support HBCUs!

Texans safety Michael Thomas is auctioning off game-worn jerseys to benefit his scholarship fund for historically Black colleges and universities. That includes jerseys worn by himself, defensive e ...more
Will Moss • 9,415 Views • October 13th, 2020
Former NBA Star, Jerry Stackhouse, Hints at a Possible HBCU Basketball Tournament!

Former NBA Star, Jerry Stackhouse, Hints at a Possible HBCU Basketball Tournament!

By Michael Gallagher The Vanderbilt men’s basketball team has had its fair share of schedule rearranging for the 2020 season due to COVID-19. Usually starting the first week of November, the NCA ...more
Will Moss • 2,603 Views • October 13th, 2020
Popular HBCU Sports
Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders is finalizing a deal with Jackson State University to become the school's next head coach, according to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger. ...more
Will Moss • 75,529 Views • September 18th, 2020
HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

Duke has long been considered a favorite to land LeBron James Jr., son of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar and living NBA legend. In the wake of today’s monumental Makur Maker news, oddsmakers think t ...more
Will Moss • 72,903 Views • July 20th, 2020
Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Coach Deion Sanders & Jackson State Make Offer to Top High School Football Prospect and LSU Commit, Khamauri Rogers!

Holmes County football coach Marcus Rogers had one main statement to make when his son Khamauri Rogers, the top junior in Mississippi, received an offer from Jackson State on Sept. 23. "I don't kno ...more
Will Moss • 60,293 Views • October 5th, 2020
High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

The news is in, and Prime Time, Deion Sanders, is the new head coach of Jackson State University's men's football team as of Monday, September 21st, 2020. We at HBCUConnect.com have already been re ...more
Will Moss • 36,665 Views • September 21st, 2020
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!