Jordan Lawton Jordan Lawton
Morehouse College class of 2024
LaMarr Blackmon LaMarr Blackmon
Cal St Univ, Long Beach class of 1992
Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Reg culpepper Reg culpepper
class of

Will #1 Basketball Prospect Mikey Williams Follow In His Mother's Footsteps and Attend an HBCU?

Posted By: Will Moss on July 17, 2020

There has been a lot of buzz about top basketball prospect, Mikey Williams attending an HBCU. Not many people know, but his mother attended an HBCU, Hampton University in Virginia.

We look forward to seeing if Mikey attends Hampton or an HBCU...

In a recent article posted on HBCUCONNECT.COM, Carmelo Anthony spoke to his thoughts on more Black athletes coming out of high school attending HBCUs and he specifically mentioned Mikey Williams in his original quote.

HBCUConnect.com
No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2023 Mikey Williams tweeted last week that attending a historically black college or university will be in consideration when it comes to committing to a basketball program.

The 15-year-old phenom could potentially make history by choosing an HBCU over a basketball powerhouse, such as Duke, Kentucky or Kansas. The move to play at a historically black university would be the first of its kind and one that Williams is strongly considering.

Williams committing to play at a historically black university would help generate massive interest and revenue in the black community, something that he wants to help create. In an interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report, Williams discussed the chances of playing at an HBCU.

[There is a] good chance, it just depends on how my future plays out. Only God knows what the future holds for me and as of right now I donít. Ö Iíve always looked into going to an HBCU; my mom went to Hampton, and she put it in my head early, with my social media following and influence I feel that I have a chance to change sports forever.

A lot of athletes are so star struck by big-name schools and coaches that they forget they control their own narrative. If thereís anybody that is getting paid from me being at their school Iíd want it to be my own people. Itís all about timing and situation. I support the black community to the fullest and any way possible I can help Iím going to do so no matter what it is.

After his tweet went viral, Williams immediately received scholarship offers from several historically black universities, like Florida A&M, Hampton, North Carolina Central, Norfolk State and several others.

According to Yahoo Sports, Williams has received about a dozen offers from HBCU programs.
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!

Will #1 Basketball Prospect Mikey Williams Follow In His Mother

Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

Will Moss
CEO at HBCU CONNECT
I think this is a great idea. If his mom went to Hampton University she must be a great woman :) No bias
Sunday, July 19th 2020 at 7:24PM
Jason Buford
Traffic guy and sidekick at WQOX 88.5
I've been waiting for this moment. I'm hoping that more high school prospects will see the value in attending an HBCU and follow suit.
Monday, July 20th 2020 at 11:01PM
Will Moss
CEO at HBCU CONNECT
Good point Jason!
Monday, July 20th 2020 at 11:02PM
More From This Author
Not to Late to Attend The ServiceNow HBCU CONNECT Virtual Internship Hiring Event - Thursday, October 1st!
NBA Star Chris Paul Enrolls at HBCU - Winston-Salem State University!
If Companies Donít Recruit from HBCUs, Theyíre Missing out on Promising Employees
The Top High School Football QB in New York Commits to HBCU - Grambling State University
Do You Think Black Celebrities & Athletes are Doing Enough for HBCUs?
THE LEGACY OF HBCU DANCE LINES
Latest HBCU Sports

This is a dope story... Oklahoma City Thunder guard Chris Paul continues to make plays outside the basketball court, as he enrolled in Winston Salem State University to help its students make a dif ...more
Will Moss • 7,483 Views • September 27th, 2020
The Top High School Football QB in New York Commits to HBCU - Grambling State University

Written by Thomas Scott Coach Broderick Fobbs and the entire Grambling State University football staff just won a major recruiting battle. Standing at 6í4, 216 pounds, Noah Bodden is the top rat ...more
Will Moss • 4,962 Views • September 24th, 2020

By Danielle Mullins Historically black colleges and universityís are known for everything they stand for from the beginning of time and all that they represent, particularly the exquisite dance lin ...more
Will Moss • 1,384 Views • September 24th, 2020
High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

High School Football Recruits Already Lining Up to Play for HBCU Coach Deion Sanders @ Jackson State University!

The news is in, and Prime Time, Deion Sanders, is the new head coach of Jackson State University's men's football team as of Monday, September 21st, 2020. We at HBCUConnect.com have already been re ...more
Will Moss • 34,845 Views • September 21st, 2020
IT'S OFFICIAL: Deion Sanders Officially The Coach at HBCU - Jackson State University!

IT'S OFFICIAL: Deion Sanders Officially The Coach at HBCU - Jackson State University!

Deion Sanders is set to be a college football head coach. After multiple reports emerged in recent days, FCS-level Jackson State confirmed Monday that it has hired Sanders, the Hall of Fame defensi ...more
Will Moss • 28,648 Views • September 21st, 2020
Popular HBCU Sports
Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Sources: Deion Sanders Finalizing Deal to Become Head Coach of HBCU - Jackson State University!

Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders is finalizing a deal with Jackson State University to become the school's next head coach, according to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger. ...more
Will Moss • 74,528 Views • September 18th, 2020
HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

HBCU North Carolina Central Now The Favorite to Land Lebron James Jr. Son of Superstar Lebron James

Duke has long been considered a favorite to land LeBron James Jr., son of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar and living NBA legend. In the wake of todayís monumental Makur Maker news, oddsmakers think t ...more
Will Moss • 71,397 Views • July 20th, 2020

The news is in, and Prime Time, Deion Sanders, is the new head coach of Jackson State University's men's football team as of Monday, September 21st, 2020. We at HBCUConnect.com have already been re ...more
Will Moss • 34,845 Views • September 21st, 2020

Deion Sanders is set to be a college football head coach. After multiple reports emerged in recent days, FCS-level Jackson State confirmed Monday that it has hired Sanders, the Hall of Fame defensi ...more
Will Moss • 28,648 Views • September 21st, 2020
Dallas Cowboys Work Out Rookie QB from HBCU Prairie View A&M, Capable of Throwing Ball 100 Yards!

Dallas Cowboys Work Out Rookie QB from HBCU Prairie View A&M, Capable of Throwing Ball 100 Yards!

By Jalen Morton The Dallas Cowboys brought in four players on free-agent visits Wednesday, including a quarterback with, purportedly, one of the strongest arms youíll ever see. Per NFL reporter ...more
Will Moss • 16,389 Views • September 16th, 2020
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!