Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012

Some Quick, Low-Effort Ways to Improve Focus

Some Quick, Low-Effort Ways to Improve Focus
Posted By: Elynor Moss on March 26, 2018

by Jason B. Jones

We live in distractible times, for bad reasons (cf. the news) and good (cf. Alto’s Odyssey, or the soccer [also, I think people are paying attention to basketball now?]). It is common from time to time to feel that one’s ability to focus is slipping away. (And focus has certainly been an evergreen topic here at ProfHacker!)

Last week, David ‘MacSparky’ Sparks (prior) wrote a post about focus that is both helpful and compassionate. You should definitely read the whole (short!) post, but I wanted to highlight in particular some easy ways to get started.

The first is, at least temporarily, to turn off all notifications on your phone:

I suggest a notification purge. Why not try turning off all notifications on your phone? It’s not that hard (although I wish Apple would make it easier). Just turn off all notifications and live like that for a day or two and then only add back notifications for the apps from which you absolutely must get notifications. This clean slate approach is exactly the way I reduced the number of daily notifications from about 40 to about 5.

It’s definitely the case that you need some notifications–but maybe not all of them, constantly.

And the second is to hide alluring apps so they’re not *right* there:

Make a folder on your iPhone called “Not Now”. Put apps in there that are your frequent temptations. For some people, it will be Facebook. For others, it may be Twitter or even Email.

Make opening the “Not Now” a deliberate act that you do only when you are not focused in on getting some work done. If you really want to go nuts, put the “Not Now” folder on page three of your home screen to really keep it out of mind.

The danger here is that you just leave your phone on that folder, but hopefully not!

And while Sparks has several other helpful items in his post, I wanted to emphasize just one more: it’s ok to be kinder to yourself:

There are so many articles on the Internet by people dealing with the focus problem that are beating themselves up about it. That just gets in the way. We have more distractions thrown at us these days than any time before in human history. We’ve all got to come to grips with it and it’s hard. Don’t be so **** yourself. If you occasionally fall off the wagon, don’t get angry. Just get back on the wagon and keep trying.

This is sound advice–it’s really not clear who the superego is helping! Is anyone going to feel better about the fact that a project hasn’t moved itself along because you’ve gotten yourself completely twisted up about it? Probably not!

Anyway, it’s a good post, and worth a read, maybe especially if you’re late into your spring break and bracing yourself against re-entry a bit. Or at any time, really!

[Photo "Focused" by Flickr user efmphotography / Creative Commons licensed BY-ND-2.0]

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Accept your invitation to become a new hire at an Employer in your field of expertise!
#FAMUConnect: Who do you know from FAMU? We introduce you to Mr. Shaun Watson
#HBCUEmployment: Opportunities are available! Seek a new career here...
Connect with the HBCUConnect representatives for help attaining a career in Healthcare, Education, and Technology
Careers for professional talented workers: applicants invited to apply to the following new employers
Working on attaining a new career requires options. Research the jobs on this list to see if you want to apply!
Latest Graduate School Info
5 Great Tools to Help With Your College Studies

5 Great Tools to Help With Your College Studies

If you’re a college student who wants to get ahead in your studies, there are tools that are available to help you advance. Taking advantage of these resources can help you stay better organized ...more
Anthony Christensen • 434 Views • June 26th, 2020
International Conferences Can Improve your Writing A Lot

International Conferences Can Improve your Writing A Lot

BY LINDA ANDERSON Conferences are a great place to not only learn new things and hone your skills but also to meet others who are from the same craft as you are. Something that is important in a st ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,144 Views • June 6th, 2018
Never procrastinate and always free time…..

One blog I read regularly is by Leo Babauta, called zen habits. Essentially, he writes all about simplifying your life. A while ago, Scott Young was a guest blogger for Babuata’s website and wrote a p ...more
Elynor Moss • 5,350 Views • April 19th, 2018
Coping strategies for full time workers turned PhD students

Coping strategies for full time workers turned PhD students

By Thesis Whisperer Have you given up a great full time job to do your PhD? Some of you might have done this fairly recently – what changes can you expect? Jo Khoo is currently enrolled ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,435 Views • April 19th, 2018
How Academic Parents Can Find Time to Exercise

A question that often comes up when I do campus workshops on work/life balance is how and when busy academic parents can find time to exercise. As we get older, it becomes increasingly important for u ...more
Elynor Moss • 4,717 Views • April 19th, 2018
Popular Graduate School Info
People Judge Your Intelligence Based on the Tone of Your Voice and How Fast You Speak

People Judge Your Intelligence Based on the Tone of Your Voice and How Fast You Speak

Do you want people to think you are intelligent? Has someone ever told you “You’re much smarter than you look.”? No doubt it can sting to be perceived as less intelligent, particularly when you ...more
Elynor Moss • 11,650 Views • June 12th, 2017
How to Improve Your Reading Comprehension

How to Improve Your Reading Comprehension

If youd like to improve your reading comprehension, try the SQ3R method. This is an acronym that means: Survey, Question, Read, Recite and Review. Heres how it works: Survey Your Text Prior t ...more
Elynor Moss • 10,947 Views • June 12th, 2017

One blog I read regularly is by Leo Babauta, called zen habits. Essentially, he writes all about simplifying your life. A while ago, Scott Young was a guest blogger for Babuata’s website and wrote a p ...more
Elynor Moss • 5,350 Views • April 19th, 2018
MVSU to host Graduate Expo March 1

MVSU to host Graduate Expo March 1

Why should you consider an advanced degree? How will you finance your graduate education? What program of study is the best fit for you? For the answer to these questions and many more, attend Mis ...more
Elynor Moss • 4,895 Views • February 27th, 2018

A question that often comes up when I do campus workshops on work/life balance is how and when busy academic parents can find time to exercise. As we get older, it becomes increasingly important for u ...more
Elynor Moss • 4,717 Views • April 19th, 2018
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!