class of 1993
Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012

Ask the Mago

Ask the Mago
Posted By: Elynor Moss on October 02, 2013

I want to start a business selling music on campus. What tips can you offer?

Forgetaboutit! In today’s age your best bet is to get paid gigging, that is to say, performing live. If your music really has a global or at least national appeal, consider uploading it to Amazon.com or iTunes. The days of selling CD’s out of your trunk are over. CD’s are going the way of the 8-track and cassette. Have you noticed? The new laptops aren’t even coming with CD or DVD players anyway! If you want to sell your music to the world, put it online. If you want to sell music locally, get a local bar or club owner to pay you to perform. If he (she) won’t pay…what does that tell you?

What do you do when you can't understand your professor because of his accent, and he is the only one who teaches the course subject?

Wow, I had this problem in an accounting class. I know exactly what you mean. More often than not though, it is not your professor, but some hapless grad student who is just trying to make his or her own way through the same struggle you are, they are just further along in a different chapter, so to speak. Back in my day, I suffered through the class but left a message on the student feedback form at the end of the course. First, schedule a conference with the teacher to see if he or she can give you some extra guidance. Second, seek tutoring or even consider transferring to a different lecturer offering the same class, if available. Also, consider bringing your concerns to the department dean in a professional way, without making it into an ad-hominem issue.

My roommate and I do not enjoy being around each other because we are so different. I don't want to move to another room. How do I cope?

Wow bruh, I even had this same problem too. My ex roommate complained that I never slept. Well, that’s what engineering classes do. Anyway the key to solving this problem is direct and civil communication. You guys (or gals) may not end up being pals or homies but you can work together to try to find common ground and establish policies and procedures between yourselves for your own room. This is one of the secret values of college – learning how to coexist in the adult world.

You will have countless situations like this…Not just in the workplace, but with neighbors, everywhere you go, really. Learning how to go along and get along is a key life skill, and now is the time to learn it.

At our college there are many companies offering us Credit Cards. I really want one. Should I apply?

Well, that depends. Do you want to have bad credit going into your first professional job? Actually, they may not always be a bad deal, but the biggest factor in the equation is you. Remember, discipline is the gift you give yourself. What is it you will do with the card? If your desire is to buy stuff, remember, you are not making any more money, you are going into debt. In most cases, the proper way to use a credit card is to pay off the entire balance every month. Credit card companies (banks, usually) make money two ways. They make money off of the transaction fees they charge merchants every time you use the card, and when you carry a balance, they make money off of the (often exorbitant) interest they charge you on a month to month basis. Do you have a debit card now attached to your bank account? How do you handle it? If you find yourself constantly with a zero or negative balance, or bouncing checks and charges, a credit card is probably not for you. If you have comfortable cash balance and consistently bring in more than you spend, it may not be a bad idea.

One last point, don’t run up charges and then figure you will pay them off with student loans. You will end up financing shoes, clothes, or even worse, meals and entertainment, over the next several decades of your adult life! Do you really want to be paying for a meal or concert you went to today with the income that you are making in the year 2025?

My secret crush slept with my best friend. My best friend knew she was my crush. Should I stay friends with my best friend?

Ummm #WTF? How did you get to college? Your “best friend” is not even your “friend!” Bro, they need to put a common sense section on the SATs and ACTs if you think someone who would do this is your friend. Get a new set of friends…oh and by the way, another lesson you should take, is that if a crush is secret, you aren’t doing your job. You better step up!
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Accept your invitation to become a new hire at an Employer in your field of expertise!
#FAMUConnect: Who do you know from FAMU? We introduce you to Mr. Shaun Watson
#HBCUEmployment: Opportunities are available! Seek a new career here...
Connect with the HBCUConnect representatives for help attaining a career in Healthcare, Education, and Technology
Careers for professional talented workers: applicants invited to apply to the following new employers
Working on attaining a new career requires options. Research the jobs on this list to see if you want to apply!
Latest Magazine Articles
Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

By Kyle McIver, ParadigmShift PR NATIONWIDE-Theresa K. was in dire straits. After years of marriage, her husband left her and her children and filed for divorce. That divorce became very nasty ...more
Lady Shine • 48 Views • October 14th, 2020

Learn more about the HBCU Experience from a Florida A&M Graduate, Mr. Shaun Watson! He is a talented Graphic Designer who leads an interesting life. We discovered Mr. Watson on our quest to hire more ...more
Elynor Moss • 545 Views • September 15th, 2020
King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

The monsters, left, King Leopold II of Belgium and Idi Amin of Uganda Very often, psychologists and psychiatrists have traced the cause of much of people’s behavior, character, and ailments to ...more
Joel Savage • 279 Views • September 6th, 2020
A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

Sophie Wilmes, the current Belgium Prime Minister Dear Prime Minister, Sophie Wilmes, there are certain things going on in the country, which I consider it necessary to let you know, since fr ...more
Joel Savage • 158 Views • September 6th, 2020
TriHealth - Life After College

TriHealth - Life After College

It’s never too early to start thinking about where you want to live and work after achieving your hard-earned degree. TriHealth just might be the answer to your, “What’s next?” A clinical or professi ...more
Will Moss • 2,125 Views • May 27th, 2020
Popular Magazine Articles
What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before  Starting Law School

What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before Starting Law School

By Evangeline M. Mitchell, Esq., Ed.M. The summer before law school began, I was eager and excited about starting the journey to earn my J.D. I knew that I would be attending the University of Iow ...more
Elynor Moss • 7,101 Views • April 15th, 2013
TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

By Jabria Earl Get to know our featured entrepreneur: NaAsiaha Simon the founder of "I Love My HBCU" T-shirts! I caught up with NaAsiaha and got the scoop on the newest, hottest item to hit campuse ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,771 Views • November 18th, 2011
How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

By Masani Bailey: It was the fall semester of 2010. I was a freshman at Florida A&M University with both newfound funds and newfound freedom. Rick Ross’ B.M.F. was the number 1 song on the radio an ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,708 Views • April 15th, 2013
The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

By: Loren Moss We all know the primary reason for going to college is the education. A very close second is for the experience that helps us to mature from a child into an adult and full participa ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,506 Views • October 2nd, 2013
Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

By LaShonda Cooks Life is the ultimate Olympiad. College commencement is simply the opening ceremony. But after caps and gowns are disrobed, degrees are distributed and the day’s pomp and circums ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,477 Views • July 11th, 2013
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!