Kamal Imani Kamal Imani
class of
Joel Savage Joel Savage
class of 1993
Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012

The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?
Posted By: Elynor Moss on October 02, 2013

By: Loren Moss

We all know the primary reason for going to college is the education. A very close second is for the experience that helps us to mature from a child into an adult and full participant in society. This includes socialization, or how to participate in society, but also leadership and developing the ability to take initiative and to contribute to organized efforts and working towards common goals.

This is where many of us look at joining groups such as fraternities and sororities, but there are also many other alternatives that we should consider as additional opportunities for personal growth and service to others.

Student Government

One important group to consider is Student Government. Student Government is, in most cases, the method whereby the voice of the student body is formalized in the governance of the college or university, including a seat on the board of trustees, and a direct line of communication with academic and administrative leaders. Florida Memorial University holds the honor of being the first HBCU meeting the standards of the national student government advocacy organ, the American Student Government Association. Students that participate in Student Government gain valuable experience in organizing elections, advocacy, public speaking and writing, and also have the opportunity of establishing valuable high level community connections. Any student can benefit from the experience, but it is especially valuable for those with a desire to go into politics or public life.

“My student experience as the diversity chairman was invaluable…not only I had the opportunity to build life-long relations and friendships, but also, I had an initial taste of what politics in the real world is about: representing constituencies’ interests, building coalitions and negotiating,” said German Trejo who worked in student government and now works as a political consultant.

ROTC

The Reserve Officer Training Corps is a nationwide program backed by the federal government and offered at over a thousand universities and colleges. The ROTC pays for college, but also provides the student who successfully completes the program with an officer’s commission.

The ROTC in addition to providing support, camaraderie and additional training, prepares students for a potential career in the nation’s fighting forces. Aside from the other benefits already mentioned, the ability to enter the **** as an officer is invaluable. Campus ROTC programs are designed and run to coordinate carefully and complement rather than disrupt other aspects of the college experience. The Coast Guard has a separate, somewhat different program called the Coast Guard Student Reserve.

Student Ministries

Often students away from home for the first time miss the familiarity, fellowship and support they got growing up from their church, mosque, synagogue or temple. Participating in student religious groups can go a long way to replace that spiritual nourishment and give them a sense of belonging, especially when they are far from home. Some groups are tied to specific churches or faiths, while others are non-denominational.

Academic Groups
Though this may seem to be an obvious choice, for some reason many students ignore the opportunity to get involved with extracurricular groups that support their career aspirations. In addition to the opportunity to socialize, network and study with students in a similar major, these groups often provide valuable contacts to potential employers and host very enriching visits and tours with companies and agencies that hire or operate in the particular area of academic study.

Toastmasters

Many students have heard of Toastmasters International, but far fewer actually know what it is. Toastmasters is a worldwide organization with local chapters that help members to develop public speaking skills. In 116 countries, members meet regularly and give speeches and presentations to each other with the goal of helping to hone and develop communications and presentation skills. There is no teacher, but members take turns organizing the meeting and each member offers constructive criticism for the presenter in a supportive environment. Toastmasters is especially valuable for the shy, those with stage fright, or students who feel they don’t yet have the confidence or experience to be an effective communicator. Many colleges and universities have toastmasters chapters, and if yours doesn’t you can always start one! See www.toastmasters.org for more information.
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Accept your invitation to become a new hire at an Employer in your field of expertise!
#FAMUConnect: Who do you know from FAMU? We introduce you to Mr. Shaun Watson
#HBCUEmployment: Opportunities are available! Seek a new career here...
Connect with the HBCUConnect representatives for help attaining a career in Healthcare, Education, and Technology
Careers for professional talented workers: applicants invited to apply to the following new employers
Working on attaining a new career requires options. Research the jobs on this list to see if you want to apply!
Latest Magazine Articles
Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

By Kyle McIver, ParadigmShift PR NATIONWIDE-Theresa K. was in dire straits. After years of marriage, her husband left her and her children and filed for divorce. That divorce became very nasty ...more
Lady Shine • 46 Views • October 14th, 2020

Learn more about the HBCU Experience from a Florida A&M Graduate, Mr. Shaun Watson! He is a talented Graphic Designer who leads an interesting life. We discovered Mr. Watson on our quest to hire more ...more
Elynor Moss • 544 Views • September 15th, 2020
King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

The monsters, left, King Leopold II of Belgium and Idi Amin of Uganda Very often, psychologists and psychiatrists have traced the cause of much of people’s behavior, character, and ailments to ...more
Joel Savage • 276 Views • September 6th, 2020
A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

Sophie Wilmes, the current Belgium Prime Minister Dear Prime Minister, Sophie Wilmes, there are certain things going on in the country, which I consider it necessary to let you know, since fr ...more
Joel Savage • 157 Views • September 6th, 2020
TriHealth - Life After College

TriHealth - Life After College

It’s never too early to start thinking about where you want to live and work after achieving your hard-earned degree. TriHealth just might be the answer to your, “What’s next?” A clinical or professi ...more
Will Moss • 2,122 Views • May 27th, 2020
Popular Magazine Articles
What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before  Starting Law School

What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before Starting Law School

By Evangeline M. Mitchell, Esq., Ed.M. The summer before law school began, I was eager and excited about starting the journey to earn my J.D. I knew that I would be attending the University of Iow ...more
Elynor Moss • 7,096 Views • April 15th, 2013
TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

By Jabria Earl Get to know our featured entrepreneur: NaAsiaha Simon the founder of "I Love My HBCU" T-shirts! I caught up with NaAsiaha and got the scoop on the newest, hottest item to hit campuse ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,769 Views • November 18th, 2011
How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

By Masani Bailey: It was the fall semester of 2010. I was a freshman at Florida A&M University with both newfound funds and newfound freedom. Rick Ross’ B.M.F. was the number 1 song on the radio an ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,703 Views • April 15th, 2013
Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

By LaShonda Cooks Life is the ultimate Olympiad. College commencement is simply the opening ceremony. But after caps and gowns are disrobed, degrees are distributed and the day’s pomp and circums ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,475 Views • July 11th, 2013
Holler if Ya Hear Me

Holler if Ya Hear Me

By: Nicholyn Hutchinson Archival Collection of Hip Hop Artist Tupac Shakur at the AUC Robert W. Woodruff Library Passionate. Controversial. Compelling. Influential. These are only a few words ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,463 Views • October 2nd, 2013
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!