Dixie Somers Dixie Somers
Other College... class of 2004
Anica Oaks Anica Oaks
class of 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AN ALUMNIS: JEFFREY COULTER

INTERVIEW WITH AN ALUMNIS: JEFFREY COULTER
Posted By: Elynor Moss on April 15, 2013

By Elynor Moss

There is nothing better than first hand advice from someone who has traveled the same road as you. Jeffrey Coulter a Central State University graduate would like to give you insight on what his college experience was like. Learn from his challenges and successes!

HC: What was your major and why did you select it?
JC: My major was manufacturing engineering. Originally, I wanted to major in architecture, but the school did not have that major available and the next best thing relating to it was engineering. I started to like engineering in my second year, I started learning cool stuff and what applications you can adapt to it.

HC: What was the toughest part about college? If you could go back, what would you do differently?
JC: The most challenging part about college is time management, especially when you advance to higher, upperclassman status. If I could go back to that time I don't know if I could conquer time management but I would put more concentration into my major. One of the biggest mistakes I made was my lack of concentration and dedication toward my senior design project during my senior year. Unfortunately, the lack of time management prolonged the completion of my senior project and I had to come back and spend half of a school year and a couple of months to finalize the senior design project!

HC: Did you find love with a college sweetheart? What is the secret to your relationship success?
JC: Yes, I did find love with a college sweetheart and we are still together after graduation. The secret is no secret. Our success relies heavily on communication, trust, and understanding. I think it is important to set rules what you can do and what you cannot do, what you expect, within reason, and your future goals (a plan).

HC:.

What organizations did you join at Central State University and what tips can you share with those interested in joining extracurricular organizations?
JC: The organizations I joined at Central State University were Sigma Gamma Psi Christian Fraternity Inc. and Toastmasters International. My tips for joining social organizations are to research the organizations you are interested in. If you are a freshman, that is the perfect time to research what you are interested in. To join an organization as a freshman, I would advise looking for those groups that will make you more desirable when applying for internships or employment, such as Toastmasters International. These types of organizations can help develop and improve your public speaking and other skills that may be related to your major or minor that can give you an edge when the employers are reviewing your resume.

Fraternities and Sororities are a different thing. The subject is too long to discuss however be sure you have a strong desire to join these organizations and that it lines up with your character, moral standards, and your goals.

HC: Where did get your best studying done on campus at Central State University?
JC: Believe it or not, I got my best studying done in the building where students in my major resided with other students in the same major, students that are serious and as upper classmen, understand the material better than you.

HC: Where do you currently work and are you using the things you learned from College?
JC: Currently I work at Nextech Materials Ltd. in Lewis Center, Ohio. Unfortunately around 2009, companies were laying off a massive amount of employees. Not only were college students in competition with each other, we also had to compete with people that had 5 to 15 years of experience. Statistics show that roughly, only 20% of all college graduates in 2009 got jobs. Where I work at right now I am not using all my knowledge to its potential, however, the experience has made my knowledge more diverse in other areas such as chemistry.

Connect with Jeffrey Coulter: http://hbcuconnect.com/cgi-bin/show_member...
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Accept your invitation to become a new hire at an Employer in your field of expertise!
#FAMUConnect: Who do you know from FAMU? We introduce you to Mr. Shaun Watson
#HBCUEmployment: Opportunities are available! Seek a new career here...
Connect with the HBCUConnect representatives for help attaining a career in Healthcare, Education, and Technology
Careers for professional talented workers: applicants invited to apply to the following new employers
Working on attaining a new career requires options. Research the jobs on this list to see if you want to apply!
Latest Magazine Articles
Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

By Kyle McIver, ParadigmShift PR NATIONWIDE-Theresa K. was in dire straits. After years of marriage, her husband left her and her children and filed for divorce. That divorce became very nasty ...more
Lady Shine • 50 Views • October 14th, 2020

Learn more about the HBCU Experience from a Florida A&M Graduate, Mr. Shaun Watson! He is a talented Graphic Designer who leads an interesting life. We discovered Mr. Watson on our quest to hire more ...more
Elynor Moss • 545 Views • September 15th, 2020
King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

The monsters, left, King Leopold II of Belgium and Idi Amin of Uganda Very often, psychologists and psychiatrists have traced the cause of much of people’s behavior, character, and ailments to ...more
Joel Savage • 279 Views • September 6th, 2020
A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

Sophie Wilmes, the current Belgium Prime Minister Dear Prime Minister, Sophie Wilmes, there are certain things going on in the country, which I consider it necessary to let you know, since fr ...more
Joel Savage • 158 Views • September 6th, 2020
TriHealth - Life After College

TriHealth - Life After College

It’s never too early to start thinking about where you want to live and work after achieving your hard-earned degree. TriHealth just might be the answer to your, “What’s next?” A clinical or professi ...more
Will Moss • 2,125 Views • May 27th, 2020
Popular Magazine Articles
What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before  Starting Law School

What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before Starting Law School

By Evangeline M. Mitchell, Esq., Ed.M. The summer before law school began, I was eager and excited about starting the journey to earn my J.D. I knew that I would be attending the University of Iow ...more
Elynor Moss • 7,102 Views • April 15th, 2013
TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

By Jabria Earl Get to know our featured entrepreneur: NaAsiaha Simon the founder of "I Love My HBCU" T-shirts! I caught up with NaAsiaha and got the scoop on the newest, hottest item to hit campuse ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,771 Views • November 18th, 2011
How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

By Masani Bailey: It was the fall semester of 2010. I was a freshman at Florida A&M University with both newfound funds and newfound freedom. Rick Ross’ B.M.F. was the number 1 song on the radio an ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,708 Views • April 15th, 2013
The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

By: Loren Moss We all know the primary reason for going to college is the education. A very close second is for the experience that helps us to mature from a child into an adult and full participa ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,506 Views • October 2nd, 2013
Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

By LaShonda Cooks Life is the ultimate Olympiad. College commencement is simply the opening ceremony. But after caps and gowns are disrobed, degrees are distributed and the day’s pomp and circums ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,478 Views • July 11th, 2013
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!