class of 2012
Beverly Johnson Beverly Johnson
class of

Don’t Let the Sunshine and the Palm Trees Fool Ya

Don’t Let the Sunshine and the Palm Trees Fool Ya
Posted By: Elynor Moss on October 31, 2012

By Terence Hendrix

Recently at our annual family beach day, I had a conversation about life in the
entertainment industry with a cousin who had just relocated to Los Angeles to be a
rapper/actor. Since I ’ve had the opportunity for the last decade to work around an
A lister who’s won just about everything, I gave my $5 worth on a couple of points
to “welcome” him and kept it moving. This advice holds true for new grads with big
dreams thinking about fame and fortune in this business of show as well.

1. WRITERS WRITE, ACT OR SACT, PRODUCERS PRODUCE.You must be
constantly honing the skills to your craft by working in and on your craft. Just
because you have a BA in Theater doesn’t mean that you are ready to come
out here and be in Hollywood. You need to keep yourself in acting classes.
Improvisational classes work wonders.Your work ethic must rival that of
Samuel L.Jackson’s in order to make his type of money.

And although he got
a late start in his career, his story is a typical and he is not you. Master your
craft wherever you are, then come here. This doesn’t have to be where you
start but it is typically where you finish. If it’s television, movies,or music,all
roads lead to Hollywood.

2. NO ONE MAKES IT ON THEIR OWN. Everyone gets some sort of help at some time in their lives in pursuit of this dream. Whether it’s a place to stay, a hot meal,a job,or straight up cash from friends, family, or significant others. It’s more along the lines of who you know, not necessarily what you know out here. But, there ARE rules to the game out here even though the variations of the game and the rules change daily. Learn them.

3. EXPECT HARD TIMES. This industry is the equivalent of being hazed by life. That is why #2 is so important. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. I have seen people with engineering degrees and six figure salaries be reduced to eating Top Ramen on a daily and suffering nervous breakdowns. These events will test what you’re capable of and who you truly are.Darwinism in full effect.
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Comments
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Accept your invitation to become a new hire at an Employer in your field of expertise!
#FAMUConnect: Who do you know from FAMU? We introduce you to Mr. Shaun Watson
#HBCUEmployment: Opportunities are available! Seek a new career here...
Connect with the HBCUConnect representatives for help attaining a career in Healthcare, Education, and Technology
Careers for professional talented workers: applicants invited to apply to the following new employers
Working on attaining a new career requires options. Research the jobs on this list to see if you want to apply!
Latest Magazine Articles
Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

Dr. Roberta Hoskie’s 1,000 Black Families Homeownership Movement Targets Generational Wealth

By Kyle McIver, ParadigmShift PR NATIONWIDE-Theresa K. was in dire straits. After years of marriage, her husband left her and her children and filed for divorce. That divorce became very nasty ...more
Lady Shine • 36 Views • October 14th, 2020

Learn more about the HBCU Experience from a Florida A&M Graduate, Mr. Shaun Watson! He is a talented Graphic Designer who leads an interesting life. We discovered Mr. Watson on our quest to hire more ...more
Elynor Moss • 526 Views • September 15th, 2020
King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

King Leopold II, The Caucasian Idi Amin Of Belgium

The monsters, left, King Leopold II of Belgium and Idi Amin of Uganda Very often, psychologists and psychiatrists have traced the cause of much of people’s behavior, character, and ailments to ...more
Joel Savage • 262 Views • September 6th, 2020
A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

A Letter Of Admonition To Sophie Wilmes, The Belgium Prime Minister

Sophie Wilmes, the current Belgium Prime Minister Dear Prime Minister, Sophie Wilmes, there are certain things going on in the country, which I consider it necessary to let you know, since fr ...more
Joel Savage • 141 Views • September 6th, 2020
TriHealth - Life After College

TriHealth - Life After College

It’s never too early to start thinking about where you want to live and work after achieving your hard-earned degree. TriHealth just might be the answer to your, “What’s next?” A clinical or professi ...more
Will Moss • 2,112 Views • May 27th, 2020
Popular Magazine Articles
What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before  Starting Law School

What You Should Be Doing the Summer Before Starting Law School

By Evangeline M. Mitchell, Esq., Ed.M. The summer before law school began, I was eager and excited about starting the journey to earn my J.D. I knew that I would be attending the University of Iow ...more
Elynor Moss • 7,079 Views • April 15th, 2013
TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

TOOL #1: INITIATIVE - BE AN ENTREPRENEUR THIS YEAR

By Jabria Earl Get to know our featured entrepreneur: NaAsiaha Simon the founder of "I Love My HBCU" T-shirts! I caught up with NaAsiaha and got the scoop on the newest, hottest item to hit campuse ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,756 Views • November 18th, 2011
How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

How Not To Blow Your Refund Check

By Masani Bailey: It was the fall semester of 2010. I was a freshman at Florida A&M University with both newfound funds and newfound freedom. Rick Ross’ B.M.F. was the number 1 song on the radio an ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,693 Views • April 15th, 2013
The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

The HBCU Social Experience – To Be or Not To Be…Involved?

By: Loren Moss We all know the primary reason for going to college is the education. A very close second is for the experience that helps us to mature from a child into an adult and full participa ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,491 Views • October 2nd, 2013
Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

Studying Abroad: Golden Opportunity or ‘Glorified Vacation’?

By LaShonda Cooks Life is the ultimate Olympiad. College commencement is simply the opening ceremony. But after caps and gowns are disrobed, degrees are distributed and the day’s pomp and circums ...more
Elynor Moss • 2,463 Views • July 11th, 2013
Please Give Us a Like on Facebook!