|Temporary Exhibition Research Assistant|
Company: Baltimore Museum of Art
Location: Baltimore, MD
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 08/20/2021
Expire Date: 10/20/2021
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Temporary Exhibition Research Assistant|
The Baltimore Museum of Art seeks a full-time, temporary Exhibition Research Assistant to provide administrative support and research for the forthcoming exhibition Renaissance Woman, an international loan show that will culminate in a symposium, exhibition catalogue, and traveling exhibition.
A feminist revision of European art produced ca. 1400-1800, Renaissance Woman will open first at the Baltimore Museum of Art in October 2023, then travel to the Art Gallery of Ontario in June 2024. Reporting to the co-organizing curators at the BMA and AGO, the Exhibition Research Assistant will coordinate academic research for the production of the catalogue and take on other responsibilities related to the administration of the exhibition’s planning.
This position is a remote one-year contract, full-time position, starting in September 2021, with the potential for renewal for a second year.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist curators in all phases of exhibition and catalogue development,
including research, checklist development, lender correspondence, and
image/publication rights clearance
• Compile bibliographic information for exhibition catalogue and pursue
potential research leads
• Assist in arranging research visits with potential lenders and catalogue
• Assist in the coordination and organization of a scholarly programming
related to the exhibition
• Manage scheduling and logistical e-mail correspondence between
curators, catalog contributors, and key project stakeholders
• Attend regular progress meetings with Curators
• M.A. in art history or related field, with a focus in European art 1400-
• 2 years+ curatorial or related experience preferred; knowledge of
museum practices highly preferred
• Access to a major art historical research library
• Well-organized, detail oriented, and demonstrated excellent planning
and implementation skills
• Excellent research and written communication skills, along with the
ability to function in a fast-paced environment within a team
• Ability to conduct rigorous, independent research in a European
language (French, Spanish, or German preferred)
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and extensive
experience in data management software (The Museum System is a
• Must be able to track and meet multiple deadlines, and handle
The BMA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For this temporary, exempt position we offer medical, dental, vision, prescription, 403b retirement plan with match, long term disability, flexible spending account, museum and restaurant discounts, and reduced fee gym membership. We also offer accrued vacation, holidays, personal days, floating holidays, and sick days.
Please send cover letter, CV/resume, and salary requirements via email to HR@artbma.org with “Exhibition Research Assistant,” Last Name and First Name in the subject line. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Incomplete application materials will not be accepted.
No phone calls please.
Position will be posted until filled.
Company Name: Baltimore Museum of Art