|Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact|
Company: We The Action
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 07/20/2021
Expire Date: 09/20/2021
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact|
We The Action (WTA) seeks a dynamic people person to help our community of 40,000 lawyer volunteers tackle our most pressing problems—protecting the vote, defending vulnerable populations, advancing civil rights and equity, and more. The Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact will manage our volunteer lawyer community, helping them make lasting impact and have a great experience working with our 400 nonprofit partners.
Who We Are
Launched in July 2017, WTA connects volunteer lawyers to nonprofit organizations that need legal help. Together, they advocate for a more equitable, inclusive, and just society. Through our community and platform, lawyers can quickly and easily volunteer their time with nonprofits where they can take immediate action to uphold core human values of equality, fairness, and justice.
In 2020, our community grew from 12,000 to 40,000 lawyer volunteers. To respond to this significant growth, we are excited to hire our first Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact. In 2021 and beyond, we aim to engage our community of volunteers in completing projects and having a great experience along the way.
What You’ll Do
The Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact will be responsible for the day-to-day management of WTA’s 40,000 lawyer volunteers. The Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact will be a people person, with excellent customer service and organization skills and a passion for volunteerism. The role will help WTA deepen our impact and will ensure that lawyers are having a positive experience on the platform. Additionally, the Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact will be responsible for the following types of work:
• Communicate regularly with active volunteers by email and/or phone, to ensure project satisfaction and completion.
• Provide technical support to help volunteers create accounts, reset passwords, and have a positive experience using the website.
• Organize monthly platform web demonstrations to introduce new volunteers to WTA.
• Manage WTA’s support email inbox and respond to volunteer questions within 24 business hours.
• Recommend volunteers for WTA’s Amicus Mundi Award, our monthly volunteer recognition program.
• Write and mail personal thank you cards to volunteers after each complete project.
• Work closely with the Head of Communications to share platform updates and upcoming events with volunteers by email and social media.
• Assist with administrative office needs such as data management, scheduling, preparing staff for meetings and events, and research to help with internal and external reports and fundraising.
• Research and implement best practices for volunteer satisfaction and retention.
• Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on WTA’s network and platform by: closely examining needs, gaps, and opportunities; assessing possible solutions; and making concise recommendations to their supervisor, the Head of Community Impact.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter (no more than 1 page) and resume to Katie Waldo at email@example.com with the subject line: Assistant/Associate Director of Community Impact Application. In your cover letter, please answer the following: “If hired, you will work with our volunteers to ensure that they are having a positive experience at We The Action. How have you used the ideal candidate qualities above to help a customer, volunteer, member of an organization, or similar, have a positive experience?”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
WTA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, or political affiliation of any individual, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position—not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
The ideal candidate will be:
• passionate about our mission and volunteerism - prior experience in customer service, as a volunteer, working with members of an organization, or similar, is a plus;
• customer service-oriented, able to deal with difficulties in a positive manner;
• highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable, and a creative problem-solver;
• comfortable using and learning new technology – we can teach you how to use the programs we work with on a daily basis, including Airtable, Intercom, Mixpanel, and Mode;
• forward thinking and able to anticipate volunteer and/or team needs;
• comfortable working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization and support your own work;
• a self-starter - able to work effectively, independently, and collaboratively;
• an excellent communicator, able to concisely deliver our message through email, webinars, and conversations with volunteers;
• marked by a healthy mix of idealism, good judgment, and practicality, coupled with personal kindness, diplomacy, good humor, and generosity of spirit.
Contact Name: Katie Waldo
Company Name: We The Action
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We The Action is a community of hundreds of nonprofits and tens of thousands of volunteer lawyers working together to advance social justice nationwide. Launched in 2017, we engage and mobilize the legal community toward the most pressing issues of the day. Lawyers sign up for free on WTA's platform, browse projects posted by our nonprofit partners, and volunteer for projects that interest them. In just four years, we’ve grown dramatically to a community of over 40,000 lawyers nationwide that has given more than $100 million in volunteer time to high-impact partners like the Election Protection Coalition, NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, When We All Vote, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Rock The Vote, and Immigration Justice Campaign.