Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
1984 Posted on 03-19-2005

laidbackfella
Orangeburg, SC
Has anyone ever read that book?
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 2 12  >  Last
IgnoranceIsBliss from Dallas, TX replied on 03-20-2005 01:22AM [Reply]

Haven't read the book but do know that was a very good year!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
P o e t i q R e i g n from Greensboro, NC replied on 03-20-2005 06:20AM [Reply]

MeganJerai wrote:
lol yup yup, IT WUZ!! but anyway....we did have 2 read this book back in like....what, the 11th grade? 12th? i think there was a thread up about this a while ago....not sure how long ago, though....but anyway... the book was pretty....eerie....it can be a little confusing if you don't get the proper breakdown from your teacher, lol (as if that's new...they always gotta explain the most critical of readings in high school :?).....but once we understood various aspects of the book, it was just....interesting....scary....and definitely something to think about... often, i feel that to a certain extent, we live in that type of society...or more specifically, that type of country.....it's just not as blatant and obvious....which is why most people think everything is just fine.... but like i've mentioned on here before about the book....ya don't think that if the "prez" of this country (& his "oh-so-great" administration) could, that he would have a "Thought Police"?? man pleeeze....that dude would be all over that concept before we could so much as even think...about blinking......... i believe it has been stated that George Orwell's purpose in writing "1984" might've been to reflect the former status of the country of Iraq....when it was under the regime of Sadaam Hussein... and i can definitely see it.....because when we ransacked the country....there were many models and pictures up around the country that were of Sadaam....just as there was always the same up of "Big Brother" in "1984".....which was to remind the citizens...just like in Iraq (i suppose)....that Big Brother "is always watching".... plus, if you actually look at the pictures of "Big Brother"...the person highly favors Sadaam.... however....the book can definitely apply to a great multitude of today's governments and country conditions.....such as ours.... but like i said....ours just might not be as right there in front of our faces....which is why most of us miss it.... but anywayz....lemme go ahead & hit the sheets, lol......PeAcE
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 03-20-2005 01:03PM [Reply]
I hated dat dayum book! Had to read it for AP Lit. Class, but the movie was juss as bad as da book!!! I think the whole thing was stupid from the beginning to the end!
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
CrunkMonkey85 from Atlanta, GA replied on 03-20-2005 02:50PM [Reply]

didn't read the book, didn't see the movie. but i did see the commercial: back in 1984, Apple introduced the original Macintosh computer with a big "1984" commercial during the superbowl. yup, i'm a nerd
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
boygimmedat from South Orange, NJ replied on 03-20-2005 04:35PM [Reply]

yeah i read it....i thought it was good....but i didnt like the ending
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
P o e t i q R e i g n from Greensboro, NC replied on 03-20-2005 04:47PM [Reply]

jerzeegrl973 wrote:
neither did i... i've heard a lot of people say that... it was just so....it was one of those endings where u were like "aiight, so basically...the man got tired of writing the book...& was just like ahh hell, i think i'll stop here" lol i hate endings like that...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Lady Invictus replied on 03-20-2005 04:56PM [Reply]
MeganJerai wrote:
I was thinking the very same thing!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
boygimmedat from South Orange, NJ replied on 05-16-2005 02:01PM [Reply]

P o e t i q R e i g n wrote:
jerzeegrl973 wrote:
neither did i... i've heard a lot of people say that... it was just so....it was one of those endings where u were like "aiight, so basically...the man got tired of writing the book...& was just like ahh hell, i think i'll stop here" lol i hate endings like that...
in high school my teacher asked us to write a new ending...i wrote it the night b4 class i wrote my ending and i was just breezin throught it my teacher liked it so much she still uses it as an example for her classes today and i graduated 3 years ago
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 05-16-2005 02:53PM [Reply]
Yeah I read the book....it's been awhile (11th Grade??? for Contemporary World Lit). I liked the book, but the teacher I hated...
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 2 12  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!