Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
**THE OFFICIAL POETRY BOOK MUST-READ THREAD** Posted on 06-17-2004
AfroPoeticSista

if u haven't read "BUM RUSH THE PAGE"....BUY IT NOW, DAMNIT! this is a collection of various artists who've participated in past Def Poetry Jams. Itz a couple years old, but i jes stumbled on it in my closet. IF YOU AIN'T GOT IT, GET IT. GET IT? GOOD. CONTINUE WITH YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 1 1
~Q*Killa~ replied on 07-04-2004 01:25AM [Reply]
Ooh, nobody knows any good poetry books? I agree Bum Rush The Page is a good **** book. My favorite poetry book would have to be Kupenda by Kwame Alexander. Tupac's The Rose That Grew From Concrete (I think that's what it's called) was good too. Can't think of anything else right now, be back :arrow:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
prettypoet8804 from Hayward, CA replied on 07-09-2004 08:16PM [Reply]

i just finished bum rush the page! i was almost crying that book was so beautiful. what are some of y'all favorite poems from there? does anybody know if you can rent def poetry jam videos from a blockbuster or something? i don't have HBO.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
~Q*Killa~ replied on 07-10-2004 01:02AM [Reply]
^^^^~~~~Depends on which one you go to. Most of em do, some dont. Just call n ask.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Kismet_TNT replied on 07-10-2004 11:44PM [Reply]
The only thing I don't like about poetry is that sometimes you don't read the poem how it should be read so you don't get the full effect. But I will read that one yall mentioned above.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Inquisitor360 from Westbury, NY replied on 07-28-2004 01:18AM [Reply]

Also, try and check out ", said the shotgun to the head." by Saul Williams....If ya'll don't know who he is, try to...You've probably seen him before, I heard he was on a few episodes of "Girlfriends" as some abstinant (sp?) poet and he was the lead role in "Slam"...Real good poet....Reael cool dude, too....I met him a few months back at Winston-Salem State....He has another book out for a little while now called "She" that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.... Check it out...It's a real quick read and you won't wanna stop even if you tried....Download some of his stuff on mp3 if you wanna get a taste of his style....
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
prettypoet8804 from Hayward, CA replied on 07-28-2004 05:07PM [Reply]

yeah. saul williams is dope. he was the MC at the national teen poetry slam competition finals in LA this year and he hosted a workshop which turned into a question and answer forum. he's got a lot of interesting thoughts about things.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 07-30-2004 01:34AM [Reply]
There's a Def Poetry Jam on Broadway book out. It has the full script of the poems that were on the broadway tour, including other poems they wrote. that book is good. I love it. the peoms defintiely hit home, But i hav to cop bum rush the page. it sounds good
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 1 1
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!