Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Stereotypes: True or Not?? Posted on 06-04-2008

britt1love
North Charleston, SC
Ever since I first heard about it when I was in like the 6th grade, I always knew I wanted to go Greek in college. Honestly, I haven't done that much research on it, but I've done a little and I still can't decide which one I'd like to go out for the most. **Edit: Basically, its like...i know each group has their own core values and stuff but i want a personal perspective...like from someone who is an offiial Delta or AKA, what do you personally think makes your soror different from the other ones they see on campus? Or...you like being a insert your soror name here because why? You don't have to use those questions, but I figured they are good guides for perspective. I'm just curious about how different people from different schools view their sorors. And now that I think about it, guys from frats can answer too. **Original Message: Also, over the years I've run into hundreds of stereotypes about different sorors. I try not to listen to stereotypes but I figure if everybody says the same thing...Basically, I just wanna know, how close are the basic stereotypes to being true? (&& If you don't know what I'm talkin about, for example I've heard: ---AKAs are stuck up and b*tchy, b/c only the prettiest girls are allowed to be Alphas. And they step to be cute, not wantin to break a sweat. --Deltas are b*tchy too, just not as vain as the Alphas. Their more about their studies and their steppin, and don't have time for nobody except for they soror sisters. And most of them are pretty friendly with guys. ALOT. These are a little on the extreme side, but you know what I mean...how are black sorors really? Do they fit certain stereotypes in any way?
  [Reply]
Page 4 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-07-2008 09:58PM [Reply]

My bad. lol
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 from Laguana Hills, CA replied on 06-08-2008 04:19PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
What I plan on doing after I finalize my college plans, is researching the chapters there, specifically, and after I decide which of those Ilike best from the outside research, I'll use the personalities and such of those already in the sororities to make sure that is the right choice for me. Plus, Idont' have family pressure, b/c as far as I know, women in my family haven't pledged (And if they have, it wasn't at an HBCU). It'll just be another perk when I'm the first to join a soror. But thanks, REALLY, for the feedback.
Yeah, that is the best thing to do. Besides just researching the national websites of the sorority of your choice, you need to examine how the girls are on the campus. That is your best bet because you will be joining with those particular girls. You will hear a lot of people on this forum tell you to just research the national websites, but I would advise you to just sit back and observe the girls on the campus. That is your best form of research, and then it will be easier for you to make your choice. In a sense, it is a good thing that you don't have any outside pressure from family members. There are many people who join orgs based on what their family members joined, and then they find out that they would have gotten along better with another group of people on their campus. It is best to join whoever you feel that you will be friends with. The main purpose of Greek organizations is to make friends. Anyway, enjoy your high school years and focus on what you want to major in. The most important thing is to find out what you like to do, and decide on what major to choose in college. Don't get your mind wrapped up into the Greek stuff, because it is only a sidebar to your college experience. Have a game plan and stick to it! You will find that it is really important to have a game plan and not get distracted when you actually get to college.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
MiA_theGREAT from Hustletown, TX replied on 06-08-2008 05:22PM [Reply]

smc112 wrote:
The main purpose of Greek organizations is to make friends.
what the hell?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-08-2008 07:09PM [Reply]

smc112 wrote:
The main purpose of Greek organizations is to make friends.
Apparently Mia doesn't agree with you... I don't think the purpose of it is to make friends, but I know that's a part of it. As far as I know, most Greek organizations aim to enstill values and life skills in the people that join them, and show them the benefits of community service and bonding in unity (sisterhood/brotherhood). Making friends just comes with the territory.
smc112 wrote:
Anyway, enjoy your high school years and focus on what you want to major in. The most important thing is to find out what you like to do, and decide on what major to choose in college. Don't get your mind wrapped up into the Greek stuff, because it is only a sidebar to your college experience.
I've done my research and I already know what I want to do. I'm going to be a mass comm major with an emphasis on/degree in public relations. Besides that, I'm either going to minor in advertising, OR double major in business (marketing). It'll either be one or the other. If I double major, I heard it might be difficult to fully embrace the Greek life with my schedule, but it is possible. I manage a schedule now though that is hectic beyond most people's expectations. I wanted to slow down a bit in college, but ultimately I'm going to do whatever to push the best out of myself.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
DJ Knightmare from augusta, GA replied on 06-08-2008 07:10PM [Reply]

britt1love wrote:
Apparently Mia doesn't agree with you... I don't think the purpose of it is to make friends, but I know that's a part of it. As far as I know, most Greek organizations aim to enstill values and life skills in the people that join them, and show them the benefits of community service and bonding in unity (sisterhood/brotherhood). Making friends just comes with the territory. I've done my research and I already know what I want to do. I'm going to be a mass comm major with an emphasis on/degree in public relations. Besides that, I'm either going to minor in advertising, OR double major in business (marketing). It'll either be one or the other. If I double major, I heard it might be difficult to fully embrace the Greek life with my schedule, but it is possible. I manage a schedule now though that is hectic beyond most people's expectations. I wanted to slow down a bit in college, but ultimately I'm going to do whatever to push the best out of myself.
MASSSS COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-08-2008 07:16PM [Reply]

DJ Knightmare wrote:
MASSSS COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
lol. worrd. && like i said in the other post...you's a fool. lol
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
DJ Knightmare from augusta, GA replied on 06-08-2008 07:26PM [Reply]

oh yea all the time... yea mass comm radiobrodcast...Minor in music applied Voice....
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-08-2008 07:37PM [Reply]

And yea. I used to want to major in broadcast journalism but I did the news show for my school for a little while to get a taste for it and decided I wasn't all for that anymore. Being in front of a camera isn't as exciting as I imagined it would be...I've been on the radio before as a guest host though. That was pretty fun. && aww...you can sing? pssh...wish i could. lol I only sing in the shower with the radio on. lol I'm gonna miss that in college...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
DJ Knightmare from augusta, GA replied on 06-08-2008 07:39PM [Reply]

na ucan still sing in tha shower.... wit tha radio on... who gone stop u lol.... and yea i can sing...BASS SECTION LEADER OOOOOOOYEA SHAWTY LOL
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-08-2008 07:51PM [Reply]

nobody i guess... && bass leader? worrd. good 4 you. lol i might have to sneak down to paine to hear you one time. lol
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 4 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!