Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Stereotypes: True or Not?? Posted on 06-04-2008

britt1love
North Charleston, SC
Ever since I first heard about it when I was in like the 6th grade, I always knew I wanted to go Greek in college. Honestly, I haven't done that much research on it, but I've done a little and I still can't decide which one I'd like to go out for the most. **Edit: Basically, its like...i know each group has their own core values and stuff but i want a personal perspective...like from someone who is an offiial Delta or AKA, what do you personally think makes your soror different from the other ones they see on campus? Or...you like being a insert your soror name here because why? You don't have to use those questions, but I figured they are good guides for perspective. I'm just curious about how different people from different schools view their sorors. And now that I think about it, guys from frats can answer too. **Original Message: Also, over the years I've run into hundreds of stereotypes about different sorors. I try not to listen to stereotypes but I figure if everybody says the same thing...Basically, I just wanna know, how close are the basic stereotypes to being true? (&& If you don't know what I'm talkin about, for example I've heard: ---AKAs are stuck up and b*tchy, b/c only the prettiest girls are allowed to be Alphas. And they step to be cute, not wantin to break a sweat. --Deltas are b*tchy too, just not as vain as the Alphas. Their more about their studies and their steppin, and don't have time for nobody except for they soror sisters. And most of them are pretty friendly with guys. ALOT. These are a little on the extreme side, but you know what I mean...how are black sorors really? Do they fit certain stereotypes in any way?
  [Reply]
Page 3 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
treyslizzle replied on 06-05-2008 08:06PM [Reply]
I'm not going to Hampton until spring, but here is what stereotypes follow each bglo from what heard. Frats: Alphas - Smart, Intelligent Kappas - Pretty Boys, soft Omegas - Rowdy, Crunk Sigmas - Unoriginal, Lame Iotas - Very rare to see Sorors: Akas - Pretty, Prissy, Stuck up Deltas - Hood, Rowdy, uglier than akas Zetas - Fat, **** Sgrho - Bookworms Nobody get offended, its just untrue stereotypes. And Britt, please dont join based upon who gets the better rep. Becuz I was going to pledge Kappa becuz I heard they get all the girls. But my mom(AkA) had to put me in check. Join becuz they stand for something and are willing to make a change in the community. Good Luck
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 11:42PM [Reply]

Thanks treyslizzle and evy08, but based on the first responses I got, I kind of changed the point of the thread, because I didnt explain myself well. But again, thanks for the feedback anyway.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
C Nels replied on 06-06-2008 07:49AM [Reply]
treyslizzle wrote:
I'm not going to Hampton until spring, but here is what stereotypes follow each bglo from what heard. Nobody get offended, its just untrue stereotypes.
If they're untrue, why perpetuate them?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
treyslizzle replied on 06-06-2008 01:56PM [Reply]
C_Nels wrote:
If they're untrue, why perpetuate them?
Becuz I was trying to be of some help. Ppl get mad when you ask them questions about Greeks stereotypes. But least she asking about something thats worth answering. She could be asking about which is better: crips or bloods, but instead she's interested in college.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
C Nels replied on 06-06-2008 02:09PM [Reply]
treyslizzle wrote:
Becuz I was trying to be of some help. Ppl get mad when you ask them questions about Greeks stereotypes. But least she asking about something thats worth answering. She could be asking about which is better: crips or bloods, but instead she's interested in college.
Ummm ok.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Mr. TSU from Houston, TX replied on 06-06-2008 03:25PM [Reply]
Lmfaoooooooooo Yall A Mess In Here! Everybody That Has Posted Including The Topic Starter!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 from Laguana Hills, CA replied on 06-06-2008 04:51PM [Reply]
treyslizzle wrote:
I'm not going to Hampton until spring, but here is what stereotypes follow each bglo from what heard. Frats: Alphas - Smart, Intelligent Kappas - Pretty Boys, soft Omegas - Rowdy, Crunk Sigmas - Unoriginal, Lame Iotas - Very rare to see Sorors: Akas - Pretty, Prissy, Stuck up Deltas - Hood, Rowdy, uglier than akas Zetas - Fat, **** Sgrho - Bookworms Nobody get offended, its just untrue stereotypes. And Britt, please dont join based upon who gets the better rep. Becuz I was going to pledge Kappa becuz I heard they get all the girls. But my mom(AkA) had to put me in check. Join becuz they stand for something and are willing to make a change in the community. Good Luck
The stereotypes vary from different campuses. The ones you have listed above, are quite the opposites at different schools. I know of some schools that have very pretty Zetas and Deltas and **** hard looking AKAís. Also, some schools have **** and lame Kappaís and have attractive and cool Sigmaís. Really you canít go on stereotypes because you will find that those preconceived thoughts are actually different according to the school you attend.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 from Laguana Hills, CA replied on 06-06-2008 05:07PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
lol, im not a quitter, you don't have to worry about that. but it was like one in the morning and i was tired, and i really didnt feel like trying to explain myself again before i went to sleep. but now its one in the afternoon, so i'll try again: basically, its like...i know each group have their own core values and stuff but i want a personal perspective...like from an AKA (sorry about the name confusion earlier ), what do they personally think makes their soror different from the other ones they see on campus? <> I know everybody is going to have a different perspective, and thats what I want; to see how people view the different groups differently. like i said, this isn't going to make a difference in my decision, im just curious to see if any of the same responses show up from people's personal experience, not just some research i found online or in a book. i thought that the stereotype thing would be a good example, but apparently i didnt explain it right. does that make more sense?
I really don’t understand what you are trying to ask, but people are going to be people. Sororities and Fraternities do not change people that much. People tend to think that some individuals change into this totally different person after they pledge, and that is not true. If the individual had a funky attitude before pledging, they will have if after pledging. For an example with the stereotypes, people tend to think that girls who pledge AKA’s become funny acting or stuck up. In actuality, those girls tend to have those types of personalities before they even pledge AKA. It is not the organization; it is the people who join them. I guess that goes back to the saying, "Birds of a feather, flock together." You will find many people with certain types of personalities, gravitating toward each other. People usually find the personalities that they are comfortable with, when choosing these organizations. I suggest you to do the same thing whenever you enter college. Don’t have a preconceived idea of what you are going to pledge, but be open to how the people are on your campus. Try to find the personality of the girls, on your particular campus, that will fit you the best. It becomes a problem when people try to go on what their family members are. You might find that you might not like the girls of xyz on your campus, but your family members might be a part of xyz. So that is why you have to keep an open mind because the personalities will vary from different schools.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-07-2008 01:26PM [Reply]

smc112 wrote:
I really donít understand what you are trying to ask, but people are going to be people. Sororities and Fraternities do not change people that much. People tend to think that some individuals change into this totally different person after they pledge, and that is not true. If the individual had a funky attitude before pledging, they will have if after pledging. For an example with the stereotypes, people tend to think that girls who pledge AKAís become funny acting or stuck up. In actuality, those girls tend to have those types of personalities before they even pledge AKA. It is not the organization; it is the people who join them. I guess that goes back to the saying, "Birds of a feather, flock together." You will find many people with certain types of personalities, gravitating toward each other. People usually find the personalities that they are comfortable with, when choosing these organizations. I suggest you to do the same thing whenever you enter college. Donít have a preconceived idea of what you are going to pledge, but be open to how the people are on your campus. Try to find the personality of the girls, on your particular campus, that will fit you the best. It becomes a problem when people try to go on what their family members are. You might find that you might not like the girls of xyz on your campus, but your family members might be a part of xyz. So that is why you have to keep an open mind because the personalities will vary from different schools.
  • In the shortest and simplest way of saying things, what i was asking for was for people that were already part of a sorority or fraternity to tell about their experinece as a part of xyz, and something along the lines o why they joined (like what makes their group different from the other ones on their particular campus). [The point of the thread is not really about stereotypes, sorry that the topic title is misleading.]
  • Thanks for the insight (and thanks to everyone else that has said that same thing before). Like I said in my first post, i never bought into the stereotypes that I head about, but I did have a few slight preconcieved notions about the kind of people that joined the different sorors. Based on some of the responses I got, I'm starting to believe to eliminate those notions, because it will do me better in the long run.
  • None of my close family members ever pledged, (as far as I know) but there are a good many of them that really wished they would. Of course the first things I saw about sororities were lots of loud chanting and dancing, and of course stepping, which was what first interested me when I was little. Then I heard about the sisterhood bonding, and the things in life joining a soror could do for you even after college, and that just made me want to join more. Now I'm a little more mature and less naive, and I've gone the length of researching different groups past just their step shows and such, into what its really about. What I plan on doing after I finalize my college plans, is researching the chapters there, specifically, and after I decide which of those Ilike best from the outside research, I'll use the personalities and such of those already in the sororities to make sure that is the right choice for me. Plus, Idont' have family pressure, b/c as far as I know, women in my family haven't pledged (And if they have, it wasn't at an HBCU). It'll just be another perk when I'm the first to join a soror.
But thanks, REALLY, for the feedback.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
evy08 replied on 06-07-2008 06:20PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
  • In the shortest and simplest way of saying things, what i was asking for was for people that were already part of a sorority or fraternity to tell about their experinece as a part of xyz, and something along the lines o why they joined (like what makes their group different from the other ones on their particular campus). [The point of the thread is not really about stereotypes, sorry that the topic title is misleading.]
  • Thanks for the insight (and thanks to everyone else that has said that same thing before). Like I said in my first post, i never bought into the stereotypes that I head about, but I did have a few slight preconcieved notions about the kind of people that joined the different sorors. Based on some of the responses I got, I'm starting to believe to eliminate those notions, because it will do me better in the long run.
  • None of my close family members ever pledged, (as far as I know) but there are a good many of them that really wished they would. Of course the first things I saw about sororities were lots of loud chanting and dancing, and of course stepping, which was what first interested me when I was little. Then I heard about the sisterhood bonding, and the things in life joining a soror could do for you even after college, and that just made me want to join more. Now I'm a little more mature and less naive, and I've gone the length of researching different groups past just their step shows and such, into what its really about. What I plan on doing after I finalize my college plans, is researching the chapters there, specifically, and after I decide which of those Ilike best from the outside research, I'll use the personalities and such of those already in the sororities to make sure that is the right choice for me. Plus, Idont' have family pressure, b/c as far as I know, women in my family haven't pledged (And if they have, it wasn't at an HBCU). It'll just be another perk when I'm the first to join a soror.
But thanks, REALLY, for the feedback.
Sorry, but please don't shorthand the word sorority to soror. A soror is actually a woman who is a member of a sorority. That is all
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 3 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!