Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Stereotypes: True or Not?? Posted on 06-04-2008

britt1love
North Charleston, SC
Ever since I first heard about it when I was in like the 6th grade, I always knew I wanted to go Greek in college. Honestly, I haven't done that much research on it, but I've done a little and I still can't decide which one I'd like to go out for the most. **Edit: Basically, its like...i know each group has their own core values and stuff but i want a personal perspective...like from someone who is an offiial Delta or AKA, what do you personally think makes your soror different from the other ones they see on campus? Or...you like being a insert your soror name here because why? You don't have to use those questions, but I figured they are good guides for perspective. I'm just curious about how different people from different schools view their sorors. And now that I think about it, guys from frats can answer too. **Original Message: Also, over the years I've run into hundreds of stereotypes about different sorors. I try not to listen to stereotypes but I figure if everybody says the same thing...Basically, I just wanna know, how close are the basic stereotypes to being true? (&& If you don't know what I'm talkin about, for example I've heard: ---AKAs are stuck up and b*tchy, b/c only the prettiest girls are allowed to be Alphas. And they step to be cute, not wantin to break a sweat. --Deltas are b*tchy too, just not as vain as the Alphas. Their more about their studies and their steppin, and don't have time for nobody except for they soror sisters. And most of them are pretty friendly with guys. ALOT. These are a little on the extreme side, but you know what I mean...how are black sorors really? Do they fit certain stereotypes in any way?
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
GOALdigger replied on 06-05-2008 10:19AM [Reply]
Stereotypes hold some truth. You know why cause think of the stereotypes of black people. All black people like r&B and Rap. Now if you host a rap concert what is going to be the majority of race that attend. Of course not all black people enjoy rap and such but the majority adds to the stereotype. People get mad at stereotypes, but only when their negative if it positive they call it a representation. Greek life has evolve passed its stereotypes SOMEWHAT but we still have a way to go. IF you want to be greek join the organzation that fit you and feel you can bring something to.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 02:18PM [Reply]

lol, im not a quitter, you don't have to worry about that. but it was like one in the morning and i was tired, and i really didnt feel like trying to explain myself again before i went to sleep. but now its one in the afternoon, so i'll try again: basically, its like...i know each group have their own core values and stuff but i want a personal perspective...like from an AKA (sorry about the name confusion earlier ), what do they personally think makes their soror different from the other ones they see on campus? <> I know everybody is going to have a different perspective, and thats what I want; to see how people view the different groups differently. like i said, this isn't going to make a difference in my decision, im just curious to see if any of the same responses show up from people's personal experience, not just some research i found online or in a book. i thought that the stereotype thing would be a good example, but apparently i didnt explain it right. does that make more sense?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 02:19PM [Reply]

oh and goaldigger, thanks for the feedback.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
C Nels replied on 06-05-2008 02:49PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
does that make more sense?
Yes it does, "characteristics" or "qualities" may have been a better word to use instead of stereotype. I think you'll get some answers more to your liking...once some sorority members actually come in here and reply. Where's FAMUDva when you need her?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 02:53PM [Reply]

yea...probably. i mean im curious about the stereotypes too, but i was more using that as an example to say what i wanted, but im just noticing i never put that part in. sorry...lol ill probably go and edit the first post later today, cuz im too lazy now. lol
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
C Nels replied on 06-05-2008 02:55PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
cuz im too lazy now. lol
kids these days!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 02:57PM [Reply]

*ahem* kids are baby goats... I am a young adult. There's a difference. Take note it. lol j/k.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
C Nels replied on 06-05-2008 03:01PM [Reply]
britt1love wrote:
*ahem* kids are baby goats... I am a young adult. There's a difference. Take note it. lol j/k.
Young adult? Oooook! ~backing away slowly~ You're silly!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
britt1love from North Charleston, SC replied on 06-05-2008 03:21PM [Reply]

i know lol. silliness comes when i get bored.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
treyslizzle replied on 06-05-2008 07:53PM [Reply]
You dont get out of high school until 2 more years Britt. You have plenty of research to do.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!