Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
There's literature, and then there's.... Posted on 06-10-2004

RevolutionarySistah
Los Angeles, CA
BULLSH*T! I am not trying to downplay any of the hot authors out right now, but is it just me, or does it seem like they can't write books the way they used to? this leads me to believe that there must be a difference between literature and just something to read. I would love to see responses to this post, as to what most of you would consider literature.
  [Reply]
Page 3 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
TSUlady from Bloomington, IL replied on 06-14-2004 08:43PM [Reply]
Brothers and Sisters-BeBe Moore Campbell Your Blues Aint Like Mine-BeBe Moore Campbell And on the 8th day she Rested-J.D. Mason One Day I saw a Black King-J.D. Mason The Warmest December-Bernice McFadden Men Cry in the Dark-Michael Baisden Butterscotch Blues-Margaret Johnson Hodge you can also look on amazon.com to see the summaries of these books to see if you will like them and what others rated them. 8)
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-14-2004 08:47PM [Reply]
TSUlady wrote:
Brothers and Sisters-BeBe Moore Campbell Your Blues Aint Like Mine-BeBe Moore Campbell And on the 8th day she Rested-J.D. Mason One Day I saw a Black King-J.D. Mason The Warmest December-Bernice McFadden Men Cry in the Dark-Michael Baisden Butterscotch Blues-Margaret Johnson Hodge you can also look on amazon.com to see the summaries of these books to see if you will like them and what others rated them. 8)
men cry in the dark was ok. the play was even better.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 10:28PM [Reply]

TSUlady wrote:
Thanks, i used to read Bebe Moore Campbell when I was in the 8-9th grade. I liked her a lot. . . . but i don't know if I would feel the same about her writing today. I've heard great things about J.D Mason, so I do plan on getting those.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
RevolutionarySistah from Los Angeles, CA replied on 06-15-2004 12:04AM [Reply]

I guess I general I just adhere to the old flavor of things.....that's how I feel about music and movies as well. So a majority if today's black authors I discredit. But I saw some titles below and I guess I will look into them. If they whack, I am whoopin' somebody's ace!! :evil: Ain't nuttin' worse than reading something that somebody esle said was "good".
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
RevolutionarySistah from Los Angeles, CA replied on 06-15-2004 11:39PM [Reply]

I knew somebody was gon' come in supportin' what I didn't agree to. But hey, Its a free country. You are entitled to your opinion. Obviously, it seems to be a minority of us who DON'T appreciate those authors......I posted this for them.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
King_J replied on 06-16-2004 01:39AM [Reply]
BrownSugar wrote:
Their form is not being judged, but their level of talent is . . . . and yes someone's talent can be called into question, regardless of whatever message one gets from the book. Final thought - Why does everyone keep saying "There are other books to read"? No shyt. Of course there are, and we read them. But this post is about authors whose talents leave something to be desired.
I hear what u saying, but some people did say that the authors I read have less talent than others because of what they write about. That is straight bull sh*t to me. I find talent in when I am reading. Just cause a certain style doesn't appeal to u doesn't mean that they can't write......
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-16-2004 02:49AM [Reply]
i agree that authors now a day lack the skill that authors maybe in the 1800s- mid 1900s wrote... but i think that is because times are changing. I would rather read a book about a cross country search for the **** of a senator.. then reading a classic liek grapes of wrath. question? do all of u just read black authors? white authors? or both
blaquezilla replied on 06-22-2004 02:59PM [Reply]
I just read i like to gather new information and just educate my self. most of the stuff they dont want us to know is in the books all through the library. just staring us in the face. we just gotta get our lazy **** up and find it. you would be surprised to just pick up one of these books and see all types of stuff in them. trust me it's crazy what they put in books. one
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
LuvKisselle replied on 07-02-2004 02:09AM [Reply]
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy I found this book club! I've been longing to join a book club. I actually thought that I was the only person who was getting tired of the same ol' hood stories and can actually differentiate between literature and "stuff to read." Its sad that the most popular books in the black community are books that I could have either edited or written myself and I'm not even in college yet. It really frustrates me to read a book that has mispelled words or quotes with out ending quotation marks so you don't know whose speaking. It kind of reminds me of white professors going easy on their black students. I think that some of the gangster novel writers today need to be pushed a little harder. But, of course, I don't want to complain too much because Shannon Holmes was in jail and now he just wrote his second novel. These books are helping our community a great deal. We're supporting our black writers and they are giving the us something to read. I'm just glad that everyone is reading!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 07-19-2004 09:22AM [Reply]
I think something that we need to consider in this thread is the fact that people don't always write for the joy of writing, or to send out some profound message to the masses. They write to put food on their table. Looking at today's society, how many people are going to want to read actual "literature" when it's not for a school assignment? Now a days, if it takes too much thought, it's not going to get done. People are getting progressively lazier. When you see today's younger people, the way they dress, the way they talk, even the music that they listen to. So why should we expect them to want to actually LEARN outside of their classes and read just to gain knowledge? So they keep on reveling in their pseudo-intelligence, and society continues to fall. It harder now for the Toni Morrison's and Ralph Ellison's to get published, much less acknowledged and read by their own race. This is not to down EJD, Carl Weber, E. Lynn Harris, Brenda Jackson, and other authors, their books are good in their own rights. But the words are so simple, and the books are arranged in such an elementary style, that I could have just as easily read and understood them long before I was even in high school. So they are good for entertainment value, but if you actually want to LEARN, then you need to go to the Toni Morrison's and Zora Neale Hurston's.
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 3 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!