Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
There's literature, and then there's.... Posted on 06-10-2004

RevolutionarySistah
Los Angeles, CA
BULLSH*T! I am not trying to downplay any of the hot authors out right now, but is it just me, or does it seem like they can't write books the way they used to? this leads me to believe that there must be a difference between literature and just something to read. I would love to see responses to this post, as to what most of you would consider literature.
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
replied on 06-12-2004 11:37PM [Reply]
we need more zora neale hurstons and ralph ellisons!!! aiight thats my piece, had to rep the authors or my two fav. books...
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
blaquezilla replied on 06-13-2004 01:13AM [Reply]
oh my god every where i go Ekow is acting a damn fool. lol. but anyways yeah i have picked up some hot trash in the past year. ya know the book that starts off nice and in the middle it loses everything and goes every direction and makes absolutely no sense. we do this as college students sometimes in those essays and papers we dont want to write. ya know get to the middle and just put some BULLSH!t up in their and then expect to get a good grade on it. lol. yeah i hate reading trash, makes my mind wanna boil.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
TSUlady from Bloomington, IL replied on 06-13-2004 07:26PM [Reply]
I like some of the modern books out right now, although I thought I was the only one that didn't think The Coldest Winter Ever was extrodinary, there are some authors out right now that are writing good books, for example Pearl Cleage-what looks like crazy on an ordinary day, or The Warmest December- Bernice McFadden, it's all about what books you pick out. 8)
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
EkWoah replied on 06-13-2004 10:24PM [Reply]
the words are driven by dollars, and keep in mind that things that are hot nowadays are "reality TV" and "trucker hats" you cant expect the same people that drive pop culture to support well written literature, c'mon now plus, the less people know about whats good, the more pleasure you get from keeping it all to yourself, although you can spread the word if you feel
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
starsuga82 replied on 06-14-2004 12:51AM [Reply]
http://www.blackcollegewire.org/culture/040415_tyree/ source ^^^^ Women Love Omar Tyree, Whose Novels Aren't "Fairy Tales" By Tera Hodges Black College Wire Photo credit: www.omartyree.com Omar Tyree asks "why good women love bad men." Although Omar Tyree has written 12 novels, he is most known for "Flyy Girls." At the mention of the title during a lecture at Florida A&M University, women began to clap and cheer in adoration. Tyree used the moment to address what he considers to be a problem with women in the black community. "'Flyy Girls' was one of my best sellers. It was about a woman who made all the wrong choices. She's a sister in the 'hood," he said. "But in the follow-up, I allow the main character to mature and graduate from college with a master's degree, and I received negative e-mails from sisters all over saying they couldn't relate." "Why is it that you all can relate to the hood, but not a master's degree?," Tyree asked the audience. As a lecturer, Tyree describes his goal as "educating blacks, as well as other cultures, on the present, past and future struggles of African people in America." In his talk before a half-filled theater at FAMU, his topics ranged from his books, such as "For the Love of Money" and "Single Mom," to the psychological state of black people in America. "Nothing I write is a fairy tale," said Tyree, recipient of an NAACP Image Award for outstanding work of fiction. "I write real stuff because I am a real person." Tyree acknowledged that his book "College Boy" mirrors his college experience at the University of Pittsburgh, a predominantly white school. "I was the Laurence Fishburne character in Spike Lee's 'School Daze.' I was a revolutionary Afrocentric black man. I felt as if I was an island, with no one to relate to," he said. He also said he believes polygamy is the solution for improving the black family. "People such as Michael Jordan can afford to have more than one household, with more than one wife. There could be more privileged black children if wealthy, successful, black men were able to marry more than one woman," he said. Tyree posed for pictures, signed autographs and sold books. "After I release 'Cold Blooded' in August, I want to come back and have a session where men and women can go at it concerning why good women love bad men," he said. Some said they would come back to hear him. "I didn't like everything he said, but overall, he is a great writer," said Kia Folsom, a junior broadcast student from Cincinnati. Tera Hodges, a student at Florida A&M University, writes for The Famuan. She may be contacted at terahodges@yahoo.com. Posted April 16, 2004
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 02:20PM [Reply]

TSUlady wrote:
there are some authors out right now that are writing good books, for example Pearl Cleage-what looks like crazy on an ordinary day,
I LOVED that book
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 02:24PM [Reply]

Onomatopoeian wrote:
the words are driven by dollars, and keep in mind that things that are hot nowadays are "reality TV" and "trucker hats" you cant expect the same people that drive pop culture to support well written literature, c'mon now
Who expects them to do that? I understand where the push for these kinds of novels comes from, I just am sure to make the distinction between the two types of writing.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-14-2004 03:09PM [Reply]
Well the last time I went to a book store I saw many books about different things written by black authors. Again its what you pick up...but there is a nice variety out there.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 03:24PM [Reply]

**MissC is 20** wrote:
Well the last time I went to a book store I saw many books about different things written by black authors. Again its what you pick up...but there is a nice variety out there.
Well you need to post list of names because I love to support my black authors but i have yet to see all of these diferent genres that black authors are into now . . . and I am ALWAYS in a book store :? I want to add that I am looking for Literature not (as the maker of this post stated) "stuff to read"
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 03:40PM [Reply]

PS: If anyone could be of some assistance with some names, i would be grateful. I've been searching . . .
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!