Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
There's literature, and then there's.... Posted on 06-10-2004

RevolutionarySistah
Los Angeles, CA
BULLSH*T! I am not trying to downplay any of the hot authors out right now, but is it just me, or does it seem like they can't write books the way they used to? this leads me to believe that there must be a difference between literature and just something to read. I would love to see responses to this post, as to what most of you would consider literature.
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
La replied on 06-11-2004 12:13AM [Reply]
Who do you think specifically writes bullsh*t?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-11-2004 02:12AM [Reply]

RevolutionarySistah wrote:
BULLSH*T! I am not trying to downplay any of the hot authors out right now, but is it just me, or does it seem like they can't write books the way they used to? this leads me to believe that there must be a difference between literature and just something to read. I would love to see responses to this post, as to what most of you would consider literature.
All i can say is that I am glad that someone else said that. I always catch flack for saying this. i just expect a lot out of authors. but I guess, like you, I need to differentiate between literature and just "stuff to read" :?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
EkWoah replied on 06-11-2004 02:27AM [Reply]
if you dont like whats out there, write your own books, its like the music industry, my n*gga shakespeare didnt like some of the plays he wrote he just had to feed the kids main save the whales and dont forget where you come from one love and a shout out to my n*gga mark twizzaine
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-11-2004 10:56AM [Reply]
BrownSugar wrote:
All i can say is that I am glad that someone else said that. I always catch flack for saying this. i just expect a lot out of authors. but I guess, like you, I need to differentiate between literature and just "stuff to read" :?
thank u both!!!
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-11-2004 11:36AM [Reply]

ECHO wrote:
if you dont like whats out there, write your own books, its like the music industry, my n*gga shakespeare didnt like some of the plays he wrote he just had to feed the kids main save the whales and dont forget where you come from one love and a shout out to my n*gga mark twizzaine
lol, shut up Echo. Anyway, there are many good modern authors out there. I think what she is saying (and what I agree with) is that some of the authors who are "hot" right now are not very good at their craft.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
TSUlady from Bloomington, IL replied on 06-11-2004 07:29PM [Reply]
what books have you read that you didn't like, because to me it all depends on the book and author
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-11-2004 11:02PM [Reply]

TSUlady wrote:
what books have you read that you didn't like, because to me it all depends on the book and author
One author I don't care for Sista Soulja' (sp?). Dont get me wrong, if you want to read something with drama, then read one of her books. It won't take much mental energy to get through it. I'm sure the movie will do well, though. But I would not classify her works as well writen literature *shrugs* . . . it's simply "something to read".
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
La replied on 06-12-2004 12:09AM [Reply]
BrownSugar wrote:
TSUlady wrote:
One author I don't care for Sista Soulja' (sp?). Dont get me wrong, if you want to read something with drama, then read one of her books. It won't take much mental energy to get through it. I'm sure the movie will do well, though. But I would not classify her works as well writen literature *shrugs* . . . it's simply "something to read".
:nods head:...I feel you on that.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
tWiNkLeNuReYe replied on 06-12-2004 11:33PM [Reply]
I am soooo glad someone finally said this. Bullshyt authors include Zane, Sistah Souljah (howeva you spell her name) and the other popular authors out right now. The writing is very amateur, kind of stuff any 8th grader can read. It is not challenging at all.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!