Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Anybody start reading the book yet? Posted on 06-09-2004
C Diddy

I went to exchange something at Old Navy and drove right past Barnes and Nobles...but has anyone started the book yet? What are your thoughts thus far?
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
Kismet_TNT replied on 06-12-2004 11:56AM [Reply]
I got the book today and I plan on starting it today.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-14-2004 09:47AM [Reply]
I'm on page 82. Its a good book for school reading, but I don't think it was appropriate for the book club...lol we may lose members from this one...but it is a classic that should be read. I found an interesting quote that is applicable unfortunately even in present times: "Niggers you know, that's fetched up properly hadn't 'spectations of no kind; so all these things come easier." I think something that would be interesting to discuss is what is the true meaning of "Uncle Tom"... the preface of the book says that the term was generated by folks who never read or misunderstood the book.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 03:45PM [Reply]

the library just left me a message to say that the book i reserved is now in. I will be picking it up tomorrow
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-14-2004 04:06PM [Reply]
lol sorry...i cant push myself to read this book...I'm reading Madame Bovary at the moment for my Gifted Lit class next year :roll: I read Huckleberry Finn last year and it was actually better than I thought...so was Hunchback of Notre Dame...next month can we PLEASE read a more MODERN book...please lol
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-14-2004 04:21PM [Reply]

bluthunder06 wrote:
lol sorry...i cant push myself to read this book...I'm reading Madame Bovary at the moment for my Gifted Lit class next year :roll: I read Huckleberry Finn last year and it was actually better than I thought...so was Hunchback of Notre Dame...next month can we PLEASE read a more MODERN book...please lol
I think that's their plan, but i'm not sure. The problem was getting everyone to agree on a book, so Ekow picked this just to get the ball rolling
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-14-2004 04:24PM [Reply]
^^^ yeah that's what happened...we'll come up with some sort of selection process for the next one. I'm in between Uncle Tom's Cabin and "Hand Me Down Heartache" by TJ Butler <--- the girl in this book is pissing me off, but I don't think I'll be done with Uncle Tom's Cabin before deadline, but I'll have some knowledge of what's going on. Oh yeah I was in the bookstore the other day and this lady said that "No Disrespect" was NO GOOD, has anyone read it...what do you think?
Kismet_TNT replied on 06-14-2004 05:08PM [Reply]
Yeah the book is not good for a book club...well I shouldn't say that. I just wouldn't read it in my book club. I read the first chapter and it's okay. The only thing is I KNOW i will not finish before the deadline. But I have the cliff notes so I'll know what's up!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_BadLady replied on 06-14-2004 05:42PM [Reply]
I been tryin to read this book for like 2 weeks its a WRAP...I need to borrow those cliffs notes skegee lady
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Kismet_TNT replied on 06-14-2004 07:21PM [Reply]
HU_BadLady wrote:
I been tryin to read this book for like 2 weeks its a WRAP...I need to borrow those cliffs notes skegee lady
I got you! 8) ECHO what a book!...j/p.....
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_BadLady replied on 06-14-2004 07:46PM [Reply]
Thanx...LoL
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!