Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
How Do You Feel About High School Step Teams/Drill Teams? Posted on 06-07-2007
C Nels

How do you feel about high school step teams and/or drill teams? Is it a sign of flattery or of disrespect when you see them performing your organization's steps, chants and signs? Do you think that they are giving themselves false hope by thinking that "if I can step I can easily get in a greek organization"? Do you simply view it as another way to keep kids out of trouble, and don't care? Can any of them step better than you? lol How do you feel? What are your thoughts?
  [Reply]
Page 3 of 3 First  < 123
lissy31483 replied on 07-25-2007 11:22AM [Reply]
they are fun to be in.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Blutifully Human from Washington, DC replied on 07-26-2007 01:27PM [Reply]

C_Nels wrote:
Actually the money didn't "ooze into the organization", it's one of those things that you'd understand better if you were on this side of the fence. But I'll try to explain... The director/producer of the film is a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc and I guess he felt that he had the rights and privileges as a member to use his letters in his film, but he doesn't, without prior approval. So when the executive officers of Alpha saw the film with the likeness of the fraternity included without permission, that's when things came to a head. To rectify the situation, the directors removed all references of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc, except for some historical facts. The only things you can see in the movie that some may associate with Alpha are the colors, black & gold. And the money you speak of didn't go to the fraternity, it went to the Dr Martin Luther King, Jr National Memorial Fund for the momument being built in Washington. (Build the Dream) Did that help you understand the situation any better? Personal Note - I'm kind of glad that the letters weren't used b/c I thought the movie was whack. Some thought it was the best thing since sliced bread!
I wasn't too much of a fan of it either lol. And don't get me wrong, it isn't because i'm Greek and was "hating" or whatever lol. I'm a radio/tv/film major (theater minor), so when I watch movies, i'm not just looking as a spectator...i'm also looking at is as a scholar and analyzing the quality of the work. I can't help it, it's what i'm taught lol. And in my opinion, production wise...it wasn't developed too well. Not to mention the camera work was too shifty (they were trying to get a lil too creative on the dancing/stepping scenes). So was it spectacular? Nope. Cute? yes.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
"Cannon Cannon" from Memphis, TN replied on 07-27-2007 07:45AM [Reply]
I say it's a good thing because it keeps the students involved with the school, out of trouble most of the time, and on the right path. Besides I started one, but the org. they decided to join was one of their choice if chose to do so
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
flintzfinest from flint, MI replied on 04-02-2008 08:08PM [Reply]

Once being a member of the best Kappa Leadership League in the mid-west, the Flint town Kappa League. We were some what like the org that sponsores us, I mean our colors were bergundy and gold lol. But as far as signs and all that other stuff, we had our own sign and we didnt have too many calls but the ones we did have never included any of the sponsoring frat's material, our advisor and mentor made sure that we didnt go against the grain, he also made sure that there was an extreme amount of distinction from the rest of the k-league groups outside the city. We had meetings every tuesday, business meetings were conducted very professionly. So there was a great amount of training and in Flint Michigan the term Kappa LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT League is taken very seriously but never have and never will cross the line. You can check out my lil bruhs on myspace: MySpace.com - Kappa Leadership League - 22 - Male - FLINT, US - www.myspace.com/flintkappaleaguers
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
trulySophisticatedPearl replied on 04-26-2008 02:13AM [Reply]
i am on a HS step team by the name of the wilson pealrs who were started by AKAs in 1995. We have never thought it was ok to throw up their sign or do their signature steps and calls. We have our own sign and mott:"motivated dedicated and sophisticated" which does have AKA conotations but we were mentored by them so it happens. I dont like to see teams that do because it seems a lil disrespectful they earned that right we haven't yet. I also resent movies like stomp the yard and how she move who make the shows more about the dancing ,fancy tricks, and flips than the actual stepping
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 3 of 3 First  < 123
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!