Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Book Club Vote for June Posted on 06-02-2004
EkWoah

Alright everybody, what are your recommendations for the first book? We can judge the amount of time to read the book by the length of the book you all decide on... I don't want to be the one to pick the book, but I'd like for the first one to be Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe This seems to be a very crude way to choose a book, if anybody has any ideas of a better system, holla at me... maybe a small council of select people who choose a book every once in a while, maybe even rotating? Let me hear YOUR input...this is your book club!
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 7 First  < 1234567  >  Last
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 06-03-2004 12:01PM [Reply]

MissC wrote:
I recommend NO ZANE books and nothing EVERBODY has already read like half of Omar Tyree's books.
I want to cosign to this . . . . Let's try to narrow down this list to something we can vote on soon. I personally can't think of anything to suggest at the moment, but I am willing to read just about anything you guys pick. so . . .let's get this thing started
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
P o e t i q R e i g n from Greensboro, NC replied on 06-03-2004 12:37PM [Reply]

monkrenny wrote:
NECK wrote:
since i read a lot of political books i would suggest "stupid white men and other sorry excuses for the state of our country"
Cosign... thats on my to read list to. I read 1 paragraph in the middle of the book and I knew i had to get it. Other books i think others should read are: Soul On Ice - Eldridge Cleaver (A MUST FOR ANY BLACK MALE) THE DEBT - Randall Robinson Even if you don't read it for this book club i really do encourage you to go out and add them to your personal library. I think the Stupid White Men is a Good Idea especially with elections coming up and Bush acting the way he is.
I've never heard of an actual book called "Stupid White Men," but I've heard of a documentary (by Michael Moore...same person who made "Bowling for Columbine" 8))...but anyway, sounds like a plan for me....here's another vote for "Stupid White Men"... & while we're on the line of thinking about reading books like that, there's an interesting read about the "Uncle Toms" of today....I can't remember the book's name in its entirety...but something to the extent of "Your Guide of Today's Uncle Toms from A to Z" or somethin' like that....i'll get back... but mean while...yea, "Stupid White Men" soundz str8...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
dazzlin' replied on 06-03-2004 01:10PM [Reply]
soul on ice by eldridge cleaver was a really good book. I read it a couple of years back. I think he has one called soul on fire too.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
tWiNkLeNuReYe replied on 06-03-2004 01:21PM [Reply]
facetious wrote:
read song of solomon by toni
I agree
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-03-2004 01:32PM [Reply]
I read that one already (3 times...good book and makes you think alot...matter of fact you won't understand it with the first reading)...I say we go for less known title. We need to pick a book by like tomorrow...I get paid on Friday and can buy it over the weekend :wink:
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
tWiNkLeNuReYe replied on 06-03-2004 01:33PM [Reply]
I think since Echo is moderator he should decide on the first book and rotate from there. Also, I think the purpose of a book club is to expose people to many different kinds of books. If the we chose books by a voting system, there would be too many problmes. This seems to be the best way to do it. How we rotate, I have no idea. Maybe by age or name or something that was not biased.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 06-03-2004 01:43PM [Reply]
^^^ When you say rotate, do you mean a new person picks a different book each month? Rules for selection and the general function of the book club must be established to ensure its success.My only concern is the quality of books and bringing something new to the table. I think research should be done on the moderators part just to make sure that the book is something males and females would be intereseted. My suggestion would be to have maybe a theme for each month...established by the moderator...then members of the club throw out titles that would go with the theme and the moderator chooses or narrows down some choices. Just a suggestion.
replied on 06-03-2004 01:45PM [Reply]
Just wondering...what's Soul on Ice about?
replied on 06-03-2004 02:12PM [Reply]
Ok...I'm kinda excited about this...being that I read alot. But I compiled a list of suggestions that have been made thus far: :arrow: Coldest Winter Ever :arrow: The Debt :arrow: Flyy Girl :arrow: Mis-education of the Negro :arrow: Nutricide :arrow: Learning While Black :arrow: Stolen Legacy :arrow: Casting the First Stone :arrow: God's Gift to Women :arrow: From **** to Gods :arrow: Satin Doll :arrow: Cry Me A River :arrow: Move Over Girl :arrow: Light in August :arrow: Fences :arrow: A Raisen in the Sun :arrow: Raising Fences :arrow: The Color Purple :arrow: Song of Solomon :arrow: Caught Up in the Rapture :arrow: And on the 8th Day She Rested :arrow: Lil Mamas Rules :arrow: Addicted :arrow: Dating Games :arrow: Friends and Lovers :arrow: My Fine Lady :arrow: Scenes from a Sistah :arrow: Upper Room :arrow: Butterscotch Blues :arrow: One Day I Saw A Black King :arrow: No Disrespect :arrow: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil :arrow: Tempest Rising :arrow: Revenge is Served Cold :arrow: Studid White Men and other Sorry Excuses for the State of our Country :arrow: N i g g e r :arrow: Soul on Ice
replied on 06-03-2004 02:19PM [Reply]
MissC wrote:
Ok...I'm kinda excited about this...being that I read alot. But I compiled a list of suggestions that have been made thus far: :arrow: Coldest Winter Ever :arrow: The Debt :arrow: Flyy Girl :arrow: Mis-education of the Negro :arrow: Nutricide :arrow: Learning While Black :arrow: Stolen Legacy :arrow: Casting the First Stone :arrow: God's Gift to Women :arrow: From **** to Gods :arrow: Satin Doll :arrow: Cry Me A River :arrow: Move Over Girl :arrow: Light in August :arrow: Fences :arrow: A Raisen in the Sun :arrow: Raising Fences :arrow: The Color Purple :arrow: Song of Solomon :arrow: Caught Up in the Rapture :arrow: And on the 8th Day She Rested :arrow: Lil Mamas Rules :arrow: Addicted :arrow: Dating Games :arrow: Friends and Lovers :arrow: My Fine Lady :arrow: Scenes from a Sistah :arrow: Upper Room :arrow: Butterscotch Blues :arrow: One Day I Saw A Black King :arrow: No Disrespect :arrow: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil :arrow: Tempest Rising :arrow: Revenge is Served Cold :arrow: Studid White Men and other Sorry Excuses for the State of our Country :arrow: Soul on Ice
You gonna hafta let me borrow some of dem booKs....
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 7 First  < 1234567  >  Last
Home > Forums > Entertainment > HBCU Book Club
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!