Job Summary: Repairs water meters; performs turn-ons and turn-offs; performs other duties as assigned.
1. Maintains the meters used in the system to determine the total gallons of water used
2. Keeps inventory for the meters ordered for the Operations Department and the Construction Division
3. Performs water turn-offs and turn-ons as directed by the Collections Clerk
4. Performs re-reads due to abnormal operating conditions or equipment problems and assist Meter Read contractor as needed
5. Performs maintenance of meter lids, vaults, and shut off points/curb stops. Works with the Construction Division in the installation of new curb stops needed for shut off in the collection of delinquent accounts
6. Addresses work orders related to meters, which are generated by customers complaints such as overages and water leaks
7. Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to gain working knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies and procedures
2. Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission to the public
3. Expert knowledge on relevant meter repair practices and procedures
4. Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures
5. Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members
Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma or G.E.D. and two or more years of job related experience
2. Or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience
3. Must possess a valid Maryland driver’s license, Class C
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work requires occasional strenuous effort. For example handling of heavy tools, equipment, or materials of 30 to 60 pounds or more.
Work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress which require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., aggressive human behavior, extreme outdoor weather conditions, confined work space, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission (MetCom) is a quasi-governmental agency that provides water and sewer services for residents and businesses in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. MetCom has a customer base of over 17,000 and exceeds $20 million in annual revenues.
MetCom is located in historic St. Mary’s County, the birthplace of Maryland. St. Mary’s County is situated on a peninsula in Southern Maryland with over 500 miles of shoreline on the Patuxent River, Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. Home to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, St. Mary’s College and great seafood, the area is a true destination for raising a family, building a career or simply enjoying the pleasures of outdoor life. The County’s location allows for easy access to major metropolitan areas, while offering residents a high quality of life and affordable lifestyles.
The Metropolitan Commission is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.