Job Summary: Provide support to facility operations by coordinating analytical sampling, testing, and reporting to MetCom Management, Waste-Water, and Drinking Water Facilities. Perform chemical and biological analyses of drinking water, wastewater, and bio-solids samples using EPA, Standard methods, and approved technological methodologies. Maintain electronic information database including data entry, statistical analysis, quality assurance, report generation, instrumentation logs, and record maintenance. Provide support for data interpretation, review, and preparation of narrative reports.
1. Analyze wastewater, drinking water and bio solids samples using EPA and industry approved testing methodologies;
2. Maintain, modify, and input data to the laboratory database to meet organizational objectives;
3. Communicate with Metropolitan Commission staff to ensure uniform understanding of laboratory results;
4. Serves as a lead analyst directing scheduling of lab tests, and quality control quality assurance procedures for the lab;
5. Prepares chemical and biological reagents necessary for laboratory analysis;
6. Ensures verification of equipment accuracy, reagent/media preparation water quality, blind sample analysis and duplicate analysis of samples;
7. Provides results for assigned MetCom wastewater treatment plants for reporting and plant efficiency purposes;
8. Communicates with Metropolitan Commission staff regarding laboratory results;
9. Maintain of all necessary logs, reports, and records on analytical results and quality control;
10. Prepare and modify standard operating procedures for the lab;
11. Provides training to all employees on new equipment and procedures;
12. Assists in Maintaining all filling; keeps track of inventory; orders supplies as needed;
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies and procedures;
2. Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission to the public and to representatives of government agencies,
3. Ability to perform assigned test, report results accurately, and evaluate generated date;
4. Knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission wastewater and drinking water systems and operations;
5. Ability to maintain, modify, ad utilize Laboratory Database for report generation, quality assurance monitoring, facility process monitoring, discharge report generation and MDE operational compliance requirements;
6. Knowledge of safety regulations and established procedures for handling samples.
7. Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines.
Education and Experience:
1. Four year degree in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology or Environmental Science;
2. Plus five or more years of job related experience;
3. Wastewater Operator certification and Drinking Water Collection certification preferred;
4. Or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience.
Requires weekend and holiday work.
Physical and Environmental Conditions: Work requires light physical effort in the handling of light materials in non-strenuous work positions up to 30 pounds and/or continual standing or walking of 60%+ of the time; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp & turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Work may involve risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts, or machines. Employees may be required to use protective gear such as masks, coats, boots, gloves, or goggles; may require working in adverse weather conditions. The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission (MetCom) is a quasi-governmental agency that provides water and sewer services for residents and businesses in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. MetCom has a customer base of over 17,000 and exceeds $20 million in annual revenues.
MetCom is located in historic St. Mary’s County, the birthplace of Maryland. St. Mary’s County is situated on a peninsula in Southern Maryland with over 500 miles of shoreline on the Patuxent River, Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. Home to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, St. Mary’s College and great seafood, the area is a true destination for raising a family, building a career or simply enjoying the pleasures of outdoor life. The County’s location allows for easy access to major metropolitan areas, while offering residents a high quality of life and affordable lifestyles.
The Metropolitan Commission is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.