Home > News > Post Content

Incredible CAU Aluma, Michelle McCombs Sells 2,000 Copies Of Award-Winning "My HBCU Life" Children's Books. (863 hits)

Clark Atlanta University Alumna, Michelle McCombs is a Mom and Wife committed to showcasing the Black College Experience for our youth and 2,000 people agree this book is important! This is a huge milestone.

"My HBCU Life" is an award-winning children's book dedicated to all Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and is the first book in the series Angel's Adventures. Michelle McCombs, a Clark Atlanta University graduate, created this book to educate and expose children to the HBCU culture at a young age. Children go on an adventure with Angel and her cousin DJ and they witness the entire Black College Experience conveyed in literature in a unique way. For graduates of HBCU’s as well as aspiring HBCU parents', this is a must have keepsake in your home library. It is also a great read for anyone not affiliated with HBCUs to expose children to additional higher education options. Inside of the book children are introduced to HBCU history, notable HBCU graduates, the Brown vs. Board of Education legal battle, the Divine 9 Fraternities and Sororities, Homecoming, Tailgate, HBCU Pride, Black Excellence and more! All accredited HBCUs are included within the book to showcase HBCU unity and there is a bonus activity for readers at the end.

"My HBCU Life" children's book was created to fill a void in children's literature in early 2018. Michelle looked everywhere when her daughter, Angel, was born and she could not find this type of book anywhere. Michelle's HBCU family and friends helped to look for a book with a focus like "My HBCU Life" in their states too with no success. They encouraged her to be the one to create such a book. Michelle attempted to go through a small publishing company at first. Then, she was turned down by a large publishing company even though they loved the book. Michelle felt defeated they were worried about sales, but Michelle knew the content within book was necessary and had to find a way to make it happen. Michelle states the key to her success in such a short period of time and no marketing is to be patient, trust the process and ultimately remain resilient! Since the release of "My HBCU Life" countless strangers turned supporters and friends help to showcase "My HBCU Life."

Michelle, a Regional Human Resources Director, loves training, motivating, inspiring and cultivating leaders. She gets to do this during the day and feels she is cultivating future leaders and future HBCU graduates every time she gets to read to children. Michelle is consistently in schools helping to expose and educate boys and girls to the Black College Experience. The main characters of the book, Angel and DJ, also help read to children and encourage children to stay in school. Currently, only 10% of children's books depict Africans and/or African Americans. Children of color deserve to see themselves represented in literature and when they do it gives them a sense of pride. Michelle is committed to supporting and creating diverse literature. Michelle (and little Angel) make reading fun, encourage self-love, HBCU unity and is a vocal literacy advocate. A portion of every book sold is contributed to the process of gifting this necessary book to inner city schools. With over 2,000 books sold, she is most proud of giving away 500 books and counting to children. Michelle is excited about the work ahead to ensure every boy and girl has a copy of "My HBCU Life" in their home library. All orders include a personal hand written note inside the book and are mailed by Michelle and little Angel with love.

Visit www.MyHBCULife.com to order your keepsake copy.
Follow @iMatterCreations on IG or Facebook to support this amazing mommy and daughter duo.
Stay updated on the "My HBCU Life" adventure! #MyHBCULife
Posted By: Michelle McCombs
Monday, November 11th 2019 at 3:57AM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

Forward This Article Entry!
News Home
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!