Home > Blogs > Post Content

We Reap What We Sow: Cultivating Tomorrow's Farmers (421 hits)

I am a product of an agrarian land owning family, and they like many families today sent their kids to school to get them off the farm.

The statement made by so many good-intention adults have become the roots to the problem, we have with the children, "I am working hard and struggling so that you don't have to go through what I had to endure as a child."

But, working hard was the work ethic, "By the sweat of your brow, you shall earn your keep"; instead of adhering to this concept, they have raised their children to expect something for doing nothing.

When my Family learned that I decided to study Art, I was called a "Lazy Boy," and that they were wasting their money sending me to school.

However, I maintained my connection to the land, although growing up in an urban environment, I am still applying it to my Art.

By trying to approach our need to cultivate future farmers, through an Agriculture - Arts pilot projects for the schools to encourage, to enlighten and to demonstrate to the students the merits of Art to Agriculture and Tourism.

The traditional ways have been Tried-Out.

The Bethlehem Restoration Project has a component I developed targeting the relation Agriculture has with the Arts.

The Agriculture-Arts program's objective is to demonstrate how from the time the farmer tills the soil the clay unearthed is used for pottery; the plants roots, bark, seeds, fibers, bees wax are used to make cloth, dyes, paint, sculpture, furnishings, arts and crafts (souvenirs), etc…

The program will have the students cultivating the crops used for their arts and craft production, this will also give their work and products an added value, Made in the Virgin Islands.

This can be another agriculture industry cultivating raw materials for local arts and crafts businesses, in addition to export eliminating the need for importing the same raw materials.

This holistic approach to connecting art and agriculture, it offers the physical exercise working the soil, the spiritual connection to their environment, the creativity for their self-expression, and the economic rewards for their efforts.

Art plays a major role In our lives every day!

" Without Art, Man would be Naked up a Tree."

Ivan Butcher II

St.Croix
Posted By: Ivan Butcher II
Monday, March 11th 2019 at 2:30PM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Solider Crab Housing
Our History, From Our Perspective
I Am, "The Spook That Sat In Their Classrooms"
Reparations: By the Book Arbitrator and Decision Maker
The Discovering Syndrome
Why Is Everything Black With You?
To the Heart of the Matter
Everything Is Not For Everybody!
Forward This Blog Entry!
Blogs Home
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!