Home > Blogs > Post Content

What Is a Resume and Do I List Every Job That I've Had? (168 hits)

Ask Vanessa,

Addresses the most common issues regarding resumes. From time to time there will be an article written on trends concerning the resume, as well as articles pertaining to resumes and interviews.

Q. What Is a Resume and What Does It Mean?
A. A resume is a marketing document highlighting your own background, experience, and accomplishments. This gives you the opportunity to shine from the perspective of the employer of problems that you have solved. It is widely used by every employer and gives the employer a glimpse of what you have accomplished in a period of time. It also lets the employer know how youíve accomplished it and it gives insight into yourself. In most cases, an employer has about 10-20 seconds to look over your resume. So, what you put on paper you have to make it count.

Q. Do I have to submit every job I have ever had on my resume?
A. No you donít have to submit every job youíve ever had. You should submit the job that is related to the job description. The going trend is no more than 10 years of employment. If you donít have 10 years of employment, then list the jobs you have that are related to the job description and put the others in a different section. If that doesnít work, then put the jobs you have paying special attention to the functions of the job that are related to the job description. If you donít have enough experience, then use your volunteer experience or your role in an organization to compensate for it.

If you liked this article and want to submit your question about your resume. Do so, at resumereminders@gmail.com. For speaking engagements, you can contact her at 214-810-5790. Vanessa Morrison is a HR copywriter, a New Hire Consultant/Coach. She has been in business for 7 years writing resumes and now teaches others and is the author of Maximize Your Job Success Series, most recently Maximize Your Job Success - 8 Secrets to Get HRís Attention to be released this fall.

Posted By: Vanessa Morrison
Monday, May 14th 2018 at 11:51PM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Ask Vanessa - How to Distinguish Yourself On Your Resume
Ask Vanessa - Professional Experience
Profile Summary
Why Do I Have to Submit A Resume and What Does It Mean?
My Featured Alumni Photo
My Featured Alumni Photo
Forward This Blog Entry!
Blogs Home
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!