Sustainability Program Coordinator
Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA), a progressive water utility providing water, wastewater and reclaimed water services to the Towns of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, seeks a limited-term Sustainability Program Coordinator.
This position will maintain momentum in sustainability programming during a time of transition in the organization’s Admin Department. Under the direction of the Sustainability Manager, this position will assist in planning, organizing, and facilitating the implementation of OWASA’s Sustainability Initiatives, most notably the Energy Management Program and the Affordability Outreach Program. This position requires a multi-faceted, energetic self-starter with excellent communication and diplomacy skills to drive sustainability projects forward. The Sustainability Program Coordinator will have the opportunity to advance and improve Board-supported sustainability programming in partnership with utility staff and community members. This position will last approximately 10-12 months working 20-25 hours per week (flexibility in schedule during business hours). This position is part-time, temporary and not benefit eligible.
• Advance, track and facilitate progress on solar lease installations; facilitate progress on energy management initiatives; track and analyze energy use data
• Promote water conservation and efficiency through OWASA’s Affordability Outreach Program
• Conduct outreach and support through direct contact in the community, in local schools, classrooms, and community events
• Assist with writing and formatting content for public and OWASA Board of Directors; assist the Sustainability Manager, as needed
• Knowledge of and passion for sustainability and its application in the water and wastewater industry
• Strong proficiency in oral and written communication; organizational and analytical skills to perform research, administrative, and analytical duties
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and methods of techniques for data collection, research, and report preparation
• Ability to work autonomously, as well as closely with several team members; awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community
• Interpersonal skills to work with teams across the organizations, outside agencies, organizations, and the general public
• Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. Environmental Studies, Communications, etc.)
• Experience working for or with a government agency (preferred)
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity and inclusion. Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.
Salary is $30 per hour.
To complete an application visit www.owasa.org.
Closing date is January 8, 2020.
Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) is a progressive water utility providing water, wastewater and reclaimed water services to the Towns of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.