DAVID JOHNSON (6255)
Jen Fad (4919)
Siebra Muhammad (4219)
Harry Watley (3629)
Reginald Culpepper (3501)
Yaiqab Saint (3155)
agnes levine (1592)
Reginald Goodwin (1318)
HBCU Connect Fall Football Promotion (10003 hits)
August brings excitement - a level of enthusiasm - to HBCU Campuses that is second to none. In less than 45 days, HBCU loyalists will usher in legendary Band Battles, Fall Classics, and Homecoming Weekends that draw BIG audiences. This year, we ...
Posted Thursday, July 14th 2011 at 12:59PM
(more)
by: torin ellis | post comment
Perspectives: An Open Letter to HBCU Presidents (4693 hits)
Every week, an article rises to the top in terms of "hmmmmmm." From time to time, we see and/or contribute to posts that talk about the value of HBCU's. This article, written by Tia T. Gordon the founder and CEO of TTG+Partners (pictured), is a direct open letter to the Presidents of HBCU's. Towards the end of this insightful yet opinionated piece, she offers up a few points of consideration that could be embraced by HBCU officials. But first, she had this to say: "If I may, HBCU ...
Posted Monday, August 23rd 2010 at 10:25AM
(more)
No Wyclef....now what? (1604 hits)
In recent weeks, we learned that Wyclef Jean had plans would launch a campaign to become President of Haiti. The announcement gained national coverage - even secured the attention of Larry King (live). For Wyclef, the campaign messaging would be around moving the country forward, education reform, rebuilding of course, and perhaps a bit about corruption. A Wyclef win may have been productive for the people of Haiti, but we will not find that out anytime soon. Haitian officials have de ...
Posted Monday, August 23rd 2010 at 9:39AM
(more)
by: torin ellis
Winning combination: UNCF - Allstate - HBCUConnect! (2365 hits)
With a long history of giving back - having just hosted their third annual in-house Supplier Diversity Exchange - Allstate continues to push the needle of support with their latest initiative focused on HBCU's. Allstate realizes this economic downturn has been disastrous for millions of families - to probably include some of your friends and relatives. Houses have been foreclosed on, jobs have been lost and students have had to skip a semester or two, or school all together because o ...
Posted Sunday, August 22nd 2010 at 9:00PM
(more)
Death of the American dream (for many) (1590 hits)
Found this piece in an online London news source called the Guardian. Title: "Jobless millions signal death of the American dream for many" Subtitle: "Even the criminals have fallen on hard times in America's poorest city as the long-term unemployed struggle to keep a grasp on normality" To sum it up, the piece talked about Camden, NJ - America's poorest city. It made reference to Richard Gaines, one of the best-known faces on Camden's Haddon Avenue. He in the best of times sti ...
Posted Monday, August 16th 2010 at 9:40AM
(more)
...I guess you don't watch HBO... (2074 hits)
By now we have all heard about the radio rant of the Host pictured in this story. In case you are unfamiliar, and are not one of her 9 million listeners, that is an image of Dr. Laura Schlessinger. The conversation abuzz was around the use of the N-word some x number of times. I think the count was 11. And while she never referred to the caller as such, Dr. Schlessinger said at one point: "Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians." So once again, we'l ...
Posted Monday, August 16th 2010 at 8:56AM
(more)
Looking for a Scholarship....build your own? (1152 hits)
It has been awhile since I strolled the campus grounds with a Gap backpack, more books in my hands and conversation for days. I relied on a few scholarships, GI Bill, and a handful of student loans to get me from one semester to the next. That was ...
Posted Monday, August 2nd 2010 at 8:28AM
(more)
Are HBCU's producing less qualified black graduates than PWI’s? (11719 hits)
This is one of those pieces that visibly pushed me back in my chair and brought about a sigh of disappointment. As a career coach, diversity marketing professional and top notch sales recruiter, I interact with candidates and employers everyday. I'll insert my personal comment by weeks end. ...
Posted Monday, June 28th 2010 at 7:20AM
(more)
African-American Kids Don't Have to Drown (1308 hits)
Today marks the official start of summer, which, for many Americans, means visits to the pool or trips to the beach. But the American Academy of Pediatrics is urging caution when it comes to summer splashing. Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for those younger than 19 and can be prevented, the group says. One demographic in particular, African-Americans, is threatened by the statistic. Black children drown at a rate more than three times that of ...
Posted Monday, June 21st 2010 at 9:04AM
(more)
Is it time for a changing of the guard? (1472 hits)
Week to week, I try and post at least one article that tinkers with the deeper conscious of the audience. An article that springs forth thought, to be shared via verbal prose with a colleague or translated through the use of keyboards across the country, behind which sit an array of talented kings and queens. Speaking of kings and queens, is it time for the African American community to crown a few new leaders? put another way, is it time for some, associated or referred to as the " ...
Posted Monday, June 21st 2010 at 8:22AM
(more)
Pepsi Refresh Project - Save a Life! (1216 hits)
You can help more children receive the marrow transplant they need. All it takes is your vote for Jimmie Johnson in the Pepsi Refresh project. Help NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and Be The Match Foundation take the lead in a race for $100,000 Pepsi, Jimmie Johnson and Be The Match FoundationSM are teaming up in a race to win $100,000. There’s never been an easier way to help children battling leukemia and lymphoma receive the marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant they need. G ...
Posted Monday, June 14th 2010 at 7:04AM
(more)
America's New N-Word! (2059 hits)
This time, Erik Rush, has highlighted what he has termed the new N-Word. Erik Rush was the first to break the story of President (then Senator) Barack Obama’s ties to Rev. Jeremiah Wright on a national level in February of 2007. While acknowledging the power that the mere mention of race has to paralyze honest conversation, Rush still persists in making several bold proclamations, and puts forth thoroughly researched and footnoted insights that upend many "perceived racial realities." ...
Posted Monday, June 14th 2010 at 6:50AM
(more)
Denzel Washington wins first Tony Award (1437 hits)
(Associated Press and BlackAmericaWeb.com) – "Fences," a revival of August Wilson's deeply personal drama about family, won for best revival of a play, and its two acclaimed stars, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, won for best actors in a play. Even their acceptance speeches seemed to complement each other. "My mother always says, 'Man gives the award, God gives the reward.' I guess I got both tonight," Washington said after winning for his performance as the sanitation man who mig ...
Posted Monday, June 14th 2010 at 6:10AM
(more)
Whipped at Work (10291 hits)
Everything about the workplace changes at some point. From job descriptions, access to budgets and expense accounts to performance goals, persons in power down to where you park seems to be in question. For some. How does one erase that whipping feeling that emerges when appear to be facing an incompatible point with their employment, environment or both? I suggest in times like these, one might stand to benefit from a little intelligent adjudication. Start with the beginning - that ...
Posted Sunday, June 13th 2010 at 10:05PM
(more)
For the Diddy fans - upclose interview (4194 hits)
Diddy gets with ABC's Martin Bashir for an interview / special, where the mogul discusses a variety of topics -- including his vast empire, his rise to the top through music, the infamous feud with Death Row Records in the 90s and more. At one point, he's grilled about his kids, and Biggie's death. Interesting interview ... so take a second to watch. Link to video: http://www.ballerstatus.com/2010/06/12/diddy-talks-to-abcs-martin-bashir-about-his-life-career-empire/ ...
Posted Sunday, June 13th 2010 at 9:42PM
(more)
$11 armed robbery results in TWO life sentences! (1415 hits)
(FinalCall.com) - The dirtiest thing about the South is not the “Dirty South” music genre, but institutional racism that shatters dreams and destroys families. For the Scott Sisters, who supporters say were unfairly sentenced to life in prison 16 years ago, it has meant watching their children grow into adults and mourning the loss of their father. Since October 1994, Gladys and Jamie Scott have been serving two life terms each in prison, convicted of an $11 robbery. The Scott Sisters ha ...
Posted Sunday, June 13th 2010 at 8:44PM
(more)
Congress to Honor Slaves who Built Capitol (1552 hits)
Congress will finally right a wrong by acknowledging the work of slaves who helped to build the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C. in a ceremony planned for June 16. During the ceremony, a plaque commemorating their work will be dedicated in the Rayburn Room. Among those scheduled to attend are Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky ...
Posted Sunday, June 13th 2010 at 6:44PM
(more)
Follow the trend - contract employees are in! (3858 hits)
It's important to note that hiring is beginning to pick up, but many of the positions are on a contractual basis. This is not all bad. The key to securing those roles depends on your knowing where to look and how to structure your conversation so that you are 1) selected for the opportunity and 2) given first nod should the position become permanent. Continue to stop by the career center to gather useful information on your job search and or desire to move up within your current orga ...
Posted Monday, June 7th 2010 at 9:47AM
(more)
Knock Knock....who's gonna answer? (10377 hits)
There exists a soft knock that is at times hard to answer. It rests within - untouchable - shielded from the critical view of others. At times most indescribable - at least it appears that way. Most often the exact opposite. Knock! Conflict. Subconcious conflict. Defined: conflict (by itself) is a state of discord caused by the actual or perceived opposition of needs, values and interests. Knock Knock...every thought starts in our subconcious. Now that we are clear, who's gonna answer? ...
Posted Sunday, June 6th 2010 at 3:49PM
(more)
Are You Angry Yet? (2480 hits)
So we have so much we could roll into this post: health care reform (yep...still), Israel/Turkey confrontation, and of course the BP oil spill. So the question is - not to you - but to our President, "Are you angry yet?" Below an excerpt from an article written by a thinker here in Baltimore. Enjoy the story. Excerpt: There are a growing number of individuals in the media who would love to see President Obama display some more emotion with regard to the massive oil spill in the Gulf ...
Posted Sunday, June 6th 2010 at 3:37PM
(more)
You read it first.....right here (we think) (1089 hits)
A Georgia man is in police custody after authorities say he forced his 9-year-old daughter to drink alcohol and threatened to kill her if she refused. Johnson Publishing Company, Inc. announced the appointment of its new Editor-in-Chief of EBONY magazine, Amy DuBois Barnett. Barnett is an award-winning media executive, writer and brand architect. Most recently, she was the Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Harper’s Bazaar. Apparently fans in Coppenhagen were not too happy with our girl WHitn ...
Posted Sunday, June 6th 2010 at 3:17PM
(more)
"Sticks and Stones"...worth $1.5 million! (1063 hits)
So the gist of this story is that a man owed less than $200 on a credit card and the collection agency handling his account left him a few racially charged voice mails. The result was a $1.5m judgment in his favor. That takes "sticks and stones" to another level. Personally, I wish they would have called me! A link to the full story can be found here: http://thefreshxpress.com/2010/06/black-man-wins-1-5-million-over-racially-profane-phone-calls/ ...
Posted Sunday, June 6th 2010 at 2:48PM
(more)
Az - Tx - Will Your State be Next? (2351 hits)
Not that we promote controversy, but we do attempt to bring forth content that is relevant to our experience. Sometimes, you just have to include a bit of video to help get across the point. This one is real simple: are these states doing the right thing in terms of revising the history books used to teach our children? Having resided in Texas for some four/five years, I have an idea of how they approach business. Business is different than education and education is certainly apart ...
Posted Monday, May 24th 2010 at 5:54AM
(more)
When Love Surrounded the Work (10185 hits)
They say for 3 out of 10, Monday morning’s are fantastic! Hard, down right difficult might be the sentiment for the remaining 7. There was a time when love surrounded the work. Today far too many are longing for recognition, responsibilities, reward, and wonderfulness between the hours of 6 and 6 and that presents a problem. This week I promised to look at the Coach of the team we created last week. As usual, the twist lies in where we look. Shall we. Most often the work of a Coach ...
Posted Sunday, May 23rd 2010 at 6:36PM
(more)
Technology news: Facebook, MySpace caught! (934 hits)
Have you wondered why certain advertisements are appearing during your Facebook and MySpace experience - advertisements that appear to be made just for you? Perhaps not. Perhpas that hadn't happened to the degree that you have even paid attention. For the few that thought they may have noticed a trend, may be they were on to something. According to a Yahoo news article, the Friday May 21st report says that the companies have delivered user data to major online advertising companies ...
Posted Sunday, May 23rd 2010 at 6:24PM
(more)
Sort By: | Next>
  Post New Content  
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!