Home > Famous HBCU Alumni > Post Content

Toni Braxton (5994 hits)

Toni Braxton (born Toni Michelle Braxton on October 7, 1967) is an American singer and actress. Known for her husky alto voice, Braxton has won six Grammy Awards and has sold over forty million records worldwide. Her U.S. number-one hit "Un-Break My Heart" is the second biggest single by a female artist ever.

HBCU: Bowie State University

Toni Michelle Braxton was born on October 7, in Severn, Maryland, to Michael Braxton, a minister, and his wife, Evelyn. Brought up in a Christian household that prohibited listening to secular music, Toni and her four younger sisters began singing at an early age at their father's church. Over time, Michael and Evelyn Braxton eased their rules, allowing their daughters to watch “Soul Train” and gain exposure to singers like Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan. Music quickly became a central component in Toni’s life and she entered local talent shows while collaborating with her sisters. Following high school, Toni attended Bowie State University where she planned on becoming a music teacher.

While filling her car up at a local gas station and singing to herself, Toni caught the ear of producer and songwriter Bill Pettaway. Pettaway was moved by Braxton’s husky, lush voice and with his help, Toni landed a record contract with Arista for her and her sisters, who Pettaway envisioned as the female version of The Jackson Five.
Posted By: Reginald Culpepper
Tuesday, July 8th 2008 at 11:07PM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

what school?
Monday, July 14th 2008 at 11:05AM
A T
Bowie State University, Bowie Maryland
Monday, July 14th 2008 at 11:34AM
I never knew that you learn something new everyday.!
Thursday, July 17th 2008 at 3:24PM
Hi Toni, I certainly love admire and enjoy that burgeoning soulful style music of yours.The
Gallery of Greats with Miller exonerates the business of black music.The You Mean The World To Me T-shirt is fantastic and awesome from one of your many concert tours.
Thanks !!!
Friday, December 19th 2008 at 1:19PM
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

More From This Author
Johnson C. Smith University ignites training program for next generation of African-American leaders
New S.A.F.E. Center for student athletes holds ribbon cutting, grand opening at Alcorn State University
Helping Drive Change in Black and other Minority Health - Community Welcome
Texas Southern University aviation program wins Cessna Skyhawk airplane
Saturday: Award-winning Filmmakers & Producers Conduct Free Workshop at Alabama State University!
Free College Fair Event for High School Students, Parents, Community College Students, and more!
Register for the NSBE Fall Regional Conference!
Give Blood at Alabama State University Community Drive and Receive a Free Ticket to The Magic City Classic
Forward This HBCU Alumni Entry!
Famous HBCU Alumni Home
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!